Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to almost bend my key to unlock the doors on my 88 vert. Usually its on the passenger side but today it was the drivers side. It gets really bad when its cold. Any one else fix this and were you able to do it with out taking the inside panels off.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Afraid you are going to have to pull the panels. Assuming you have power locks, the actuator shaft/screw on the power lock motor is most likely dragging. The weather boots have a trendency to tear and split with age. That lets water in and causes the actuator to corrode and gum up making unlocking a bitch. Better to fix it before you snap off a key.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
you might as well go ahead and replace the actuator since your gona have the panel off and your haveing problems anyway....that way you dont have to do it again later

·
Registered
288 Posts
i have the same problem... i was hoping it is a simple job of greasing it up, but it looks like its not. What could be the problem if my door handles are hard to open, like I have to apply more pressure than I should to open the door (once it is unlocked) ??

·
Registered
193 Posts
latemodelresto.com had two actuators on sale now for like 40 bucks. go ahead and buy them before you break the lock or a key.

actuator went on my driver's door and i was having to unlock/lock driver's door with a key. it was hard to turn but kept doing it and ended up breaking a piece off of the door lock. ended up having to buy all new locks and actuators about a month ago.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to almost bend my key to unlock the doors on my 88 vert. Usually its on the passenger side but today it was the drivers side. It gets really bad when its cold. Any one else fix this and were you able to do it with out taking the inside panels off.

wow thats crazy my door did this i ended up taking it all apart many times to fix it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts