Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This being my first 5.0, at least in the last 15 years, I dont know if the suspension is supposed to be as stiff/harsh as it is in mine. Its an 83K mile car but the suspension is like riding in Fred Flinstones' car with those rocks for wheels.....feels like there is no suspension in the car....are these things supposed to ride this rough?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hahah, no they shoouldnt. Some kyb strut replacements from latemodelresto for under $150 dollars should set you straight.
yeah, kinda figured that, just wanted to make sure. This car is such a POS, I need to rebuild the entire front end, motor has blow by.....AOD shifts like sh1t..

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Mines rough as hell since I lowered it on H&R springs and tokico blues. It was too soft now its too stiff.

Yours have anything done to it or is it stock?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
maybe before you go through all of that work you could look around for a different mustang? i dont know how much you paid for the one you have but you can usually find one in good condition for around 3K sometimes even less

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
throw the cheap kyb gr2's on the front and back.. less then $180 and easy to install. Then replace your bushings both front and back and she'll be corner carving in no time lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ive got the eibach pro springs and kyb gr2's on mine and it handles great, but its rough driving on shitty tucson roads. I want some mm coilovers with Bilstein HD's :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What have you been driving? foxes have never been known for there "good ride".

I'm just saying you may be asking alot out of an old chassis.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Ive got the eibach pro springs and kyb gr2's on mine and it handles great, but its rough driving on shitty tucson roads. I want some mm coilovers with Bilstein HD's :)
bilstein hd's are stiffer so it'll be a rougher ride fyi
you should probably look into some adjustables like strange so you can adjust them to ride like a caddy when you want or adjust to as stiff as you like for corners etc. just a thought

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Is it a convertible? If so, check the front braces that go from the k-member to the radiator support - mine got pushed up into the path of the swaybar and that made the front ride VERY stiff as it killed any articulation of the A-arms outside of what was allowed by bushing deflection, hahaha.

Replacing my LCAs and removing the quad shocks helped immensely with the ride quality in the rear.

Other than that, I'm guessing you're used to the ride quality of your '08. The spring locations on the fox body are further inboard, which means they have to have stiffer springs for the same level of body control.

·
Registered
231 Posts
you should probably look into some adjustables like strange so you can adjust them to ride like a caddy when you want or adjust to as stiff as you like for corners etc. just a thought

cool ill check into that thanks bud. Its mu understanding that coilovers get rid of most of the harshness associated with shocks and springs being seperate from eachother, Is that true?

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
That's just not true.

Bilsteins use a digressive valving, which means despite better body control, the ride quality is improved. Their stiffness is proportional to how fast the suspension motion is - for relatively slow motions like body roll, they're very stiff. But for relatively fast motions like the impacts driving over potholes, they're very soft.

And yes, I run Bilsteins on my car.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
cool ill check into that thanks bud. Its mu understanding that coilovers get rid of most of the harshness associated with shocks and springs being seperate from eachother, Is that true?
Yes, but not really for the reason you've asked.

By moving the spring closer to the wheel, you can run a softer spring and get the same wheel rate (body control).

It's like holding a door shut with your hand - if you're holding it near the handle, you'll need to exert less force than if you're holding it near the hinges.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
That's just not true.

Bilsteins use a digressive valving, which means despite better body control, the ride quality is improved. Their stiffness is proportional to how fast the suspension motion is - for relatively slow motions like body roll, they're very stiff. But for relatively fast motions like the impacts driving over potholes, they're very soft.

And yes, I run Bilsteins on my car.
I was going off of my experience with the Bilstein HD's I had on my previous 90 which were very stiff which.

·
Registered
56 Posts
is there a big cost difference in the 2 setups? i'm assuming since you're wanting to switch over that there is a big difference in ride/handling?

i just looked at MMs site and the bilstein HDs sound like a pretty nice setup. but i can't find a definition of what "coilover" means? would it be worth the extra dough to go that route vs the eibach springs/kyb route (which is the way i was leaning until reading this)? if it gives a better overall ride and still offers better "track" performance, it would be money well spent.

·
Registered
231 Posts
is there a big cost difference in the 2 setups? i'm assuming since you're wanting to switch over that there is a big difference in ride/handling?

i just looked at MMs site and the bilstein HDs sound like a pretty nice setup. but i can't find a definition of what "coilover" means? would it be worth the extra dough to go that route vs the eibach springs/kyb route (which is the way i was leaning until reading this)? if it gives a better overall ride and still offers better "track" performance, it would be money well spent.
The coilover setup costs around $1200- $1500 if i remember correctly, but is apparently much better than the stock setup. You can order a kit from Latemodelrestoration.com that comes with the full coilover setup and caster/camber plates.

The KYB GR2's and eibach pro springs setup is pretty reasonably priced and will definitely give you noticeable results.

Read through this thread. It has a ton of good info and will explain coilovers to you, plus a lot of other good info.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/modular-mustangs/92453-official-suspension-guide.html

1 - 20 of 23 Posts