Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
procrastinationist
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found on craigslist what the the ad claims is a 4" Harwood extended cowl hood for sale for a great price (sells at Summit for $360, he was asking $175 and has agreed to $150 if all is well when I go look at it). I have texted and spoken to the guy and he sent me a picture. I am going to look at it tomorrow. He told me that he was selling it because he got rearended so badly that the car is a complete loss, but the hood is in perfect condition. I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could help me with.

The hood in question.

Supposedly the same hood from Summit.

1. The pic he sent me makes the hood look very ill-fitting. I spoke to him about it and he stated that the car was in really bad shape and he hadn't spent any time to make it fit right, but that with a little work I could make it fit perfect on mine. Is that legit?

2. He told me that he had to remove either his cowl panel or cowl grill to make the hood fit (I can't remember). Is this normal or did he, again, need to "fit" the hood to his Mustang?

3. Is the extended cowl ok for street use? If not, can I trim the extension off and fix the fiberglass to make it into a standard cowl hood?

4. Lastly, he advertised it as a 4" hood, but looking at the one pic he sent me makes me think it might be a 6". Any ideas? I know I can measure it when I go look at it, but I'm pretty sure 4" is as big as I want to go.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
no its 4 inch, i would imagine you would have to remove that black panel that butts up to windshield to make this hood fit. The hood is not legal, but I don't think a regular 4 inch would be either, as far as trimming, you can do it. It would still be a pin on hood though. The hood should fit fine as long as you take your time and do it right. He did a shitty job. If anyone else has input that contradicts mine, feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I think you should post pics of what he sent you

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm pretty sure the hood pins are taken out like he's about to pop the hood, either that or the pins are in need of adjustment. And he obviously has a gt with a lx front bumper which he probably didn't fit right. The hood will most likely be fine on your car considering you haven't frankenstiened your car like this jokester.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Don't by a hood with already drilled holes for the pins, more than likely the fitment won't match, you'll have to patch the old holes and make your own

1 - 6 of 6 Posts