Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm planning on building a 306. I want to be putting out around 450hp on nitrous. I don't want to go all out getting the best parts I can, but I want to build a reliable budget motor. I'm going to be using an 89 block. I plan on sticking with the factor style roller cam, but I think I'll get a nitrous custom grind for it. Now right now I want to know what rods, pistons and heads to use. I already have a steel crank. I want to run 9:1 - 9.5:1 compression. Also its carburated. What do you guys think? Whats gonna be the best way to get this power reliably without spending a whole lot and sticking with a 306?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok I'm planning on building a 306. I want to be putting out around 450hp on nitrous. I don't want to go all out getting the best parts I can, but I want to build a reliable budget motor. I'm going to be using an 89 block. I plan on sticking with the factor style roller cam, but I think I'll get a nitrous custom grind for it. Now right now I want to know what rods, pistons and heads to use. I already have a steel crank. I want to run 9:1 - 9.5:1 compression. Also its carburated. What do you guys think? Whats gonna be the best way to get this power reliably without spending a whole lot and sticking with a 306?
how much do you have to spend?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only want to spend $3000. That is for everything, parts, machine work, gaskets and all the little BS.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I only want to spend $3000. That is for everything, parts, machine work, gaskets and all the little BS.
oh thats a good start and you can make about 350 hp on a built 306 very easy.I would invest in a nice set of heads,intake, and like you said custom grind nitrous cam:I do know it is alot easier and cheaper to build a carbed motor vs a fuel injected motor.Stock rods are forged i beams and will hold more power than the block will same with the stock cast crank.:Myself i like probe pistons but really any forged piston made by a reputible company will work.

As for heads I would look into a set of trick flow or afr aluminum heads but i like the trick flow pieces myself but there again that is personal preference and what works with your combo.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to run forged pistons? I figured I could run some hypereutectics?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it would be in your best bet to run forged.Look at it this way Ford put forged pistons in these cars for quite a few years while they were being produced so why downgrade.
Yeah I guess that is true. Now what aluminum heads work good for running nitrous?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
there arent a lot of aluminum heads that your gonna get for the money your trying to spend.....but from what i have seen the edelbrock are about the cheapest of those top popular brands

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
stock block stock internals..trickflow top end kit and 100shot..

·
Registered
1,572 Posts

Federal Mogul MHP173-300

$549.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today

here's your rebuild kit with forged pistons, your stock rods are plenty strong enough, almost any head street head will be fine, afr 165 or 185, performer rpm, windsor jrs , even gt 40s if that's all you can afford, as far as intakes go i suggest the performer rpm ( altho i've always opted for the vr jr especially when running spray and a 5 speed ) and i strongly suggest switching your edelbrock 750 for a holley 650 double pumper with mechanical secondaries , btw you can easily spray a 150 shot and be reliable ( run a plug 2 ranges colder ( autolite 23s ) and back the timing off to @ 26 - 28 degrees total and run 93 octane

·
Registered
91 Posts

Federal Mogul MHP173-300

$549.95

here's your rebuild kit with forged pistons, your stock rods are plenty strong enough, almost any head street head will be fine, afr 165 or 185, performer rpm, windsor jrs , even gt 40s if that's all you can afford, as far as intakes go i suggest the performer rpm ( altho i've always opted for the vr jr especially when running spray and a 5 speed ) and i strongly suggest switching your edelbrock 750 for a holley 650 double pumper with mechanical secondaries , btw you can easily spray a 150 shot and be reliable ( run a plug 2 ranges colder ( autolite 23s ) and back the timing off to @ 26 - 28 degrees total and run 93 octane
scratch off the afr 185,b/c of the 2.02 valves

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
"scratch off the afr 185,b/c of the 2.02 valves "

you are right, i was including them in case he wanted to upgrade to a stroker down the road but yeah 165s will work fine, btw i believe afr offers the 165s with a competition ported exhaust port ( as an option ) for those who are running nitrous , i'm not 100 percent sure but i remember reading this somewhere, i think it's worth looking into if you go with their heads

Reactions: Mike Johnson

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Federal Mogul MHP173-300

$549.95

Now thats what I was looking for, thanks. Now what about a cam, does anybody make a nitrous cam that uses the factory roller cam style?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
call and talk to someone at comp cams

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
fyi don't just use the part # of the rebuild kit in my earlier post, i just used that as an example, all the prices are the same but the kits have different part #s depending on piston size wether it's standard bore, or .30 or .40 overbore , once your block is machined you'll know which part # to order , sorry if i caused you any confusion btw that's from summit racing.com, they've got everything and the shipping's free

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fyi don't just use the part # of the rebuild kit in my earlier post, i just used that as an example, all the prices are the same but the kits have different part #s depending on piston size wether it's standard bore, or .30 or .40 overbore , once your block is machined you'll know which part # to order , sorry if i caused you any confusion btw that's from summit racing.com, they've got everything and the shipping's free
No I understood it thanks. Also AFR does make a 165 that is ported for nitrous. $1800 a pair assembled through jegs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts