Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently picked up an 86 Vert and one thing I normally do with a used car is new rotors, drums and pads. well when I pulled off the passenger front tire i found that the rotor wasn't in bad shape at all, but the caliper was frozen solid!

So little later and 50 bucks poorer I had new calipers and a nice new bottle of brake fluid. Swapped the caliper no issue, but when I started to bleed the fluid.... Man... it was bad looking. Looked like something I would find in the crank case, not in the brake system. So I popped the top off the master cylinder and started changing fluid.

Here is a pic I took after flushing out both front calipers... I haven't gotten to the back brakes yet. that's tomorrow...

I kinda cheated swapping the fluid. I bought a "One Man Brake Bleeder" from the parts store for 6.00. its a small bottle that has a magnet so you can sit it higher than the bleed screw, then it has a rubber hose that goes to the bleeder. well I put a bucket above the calipers so that when I over filled the little one ounce bottle in the kit it would just run into the bucket and not on the ground. then I pressed the pedal 25 times and refilled the master cylinder. and repeated that about 10 times, until the fluid coming out was not brown, but mostly clear.

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
huh? what do you mean? you saying that the chocolate milk is fine for the brake fluid? Nah, I would much rather change it out with fresh.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,555 Posts
Not chocolate milk, but Rich Chocolate Ovaltine... Fortified with 12 vitamins and minerals!

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
sad to admit my brake fluid was brown when I bought the car on 01/10/2008.....

I haven't flushed the fluid once. :sorry

was planning on it soon, since brakes have gotten a bit worse as of late.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Lol, that's a smart man. Buy the summer toys in the winter, always cheaper that way. Just like how you look for a plow or plow truck in the spring/summer.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
You bought a convertible in January in Colorado???
Lol, that's a smart man. Buy the summer toys in the winter, always cheaper that way. Just like how you look for a plow or plow truck in the spring/summer.
haha, yea, the first day I went and looked at it, it had 8" on snow on it, haha.

got it for a "ok" price. now-a-days I feel like I got ripped off, but at the time, I was good with the price.

bought the 'vert because this car was in the best shape out of any foxbody I had looked at in my price range. when I was in florida, every foxbody was ether a rust bucket, or had all kinds of ****ed up ****.

move here and no rust, but found a couple screwed up cars I passed on. Sold on my car, and thought it was fast then..... just wanted a "fun" car to enjoy.

ran a [email protected] and 3 days later bought a nitrous kit. bullshit hasn't stopped since, haha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts