Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so every shop ive been to in rhode island will install my shorty h pipe but none of them will touch my cats id love to just get another set of lts and than not even need to go to a shop but funds are a little tight right now so should I keep looking til I find some hole in the wall that will do it or should I settle to leave the cats

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Getting long tubes installed is going to be pricey and in addition almost nobody will do it because in most places its illegal to remove your cats. I would recommend doing it yourself or with friends or something to save you the $ and the hassle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yup hole in the wall shops is where its at

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no no no I can install the headers myself I did it in my last car its more about how long it would take me because I need it everyday thats why I have the shorty h from my old car but I sold the lts I guess my question is should I settle for leaving the cats and do the exhaust or wait some time and get lts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well I found one shop that would do it but would charge me between 2 and 250 I dont want to put long tubes on it though because I plan to go turbo this summer

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
Install them yourself. If your car is down for 1 day you can take the bus or find a ride.

A $2 bus fare for 1 day is a lot better than a hefty install price.

And I guess your second issue is that you have a shorty h pipe but don't want longtubes.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can install them but if Im wanting to go turbo arent they a bad idea

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
I can install them but if Im wanting to go turbo arent they a bad idea
Spending any money on a non turbo exhaust if you are going turbo is a bad idea.

That's a mistake that I made, but I didn't plan on going turbo a year ago.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I already had the h pipe from my last car and it has the mufflers and tailpipes on it and I cant stand the stock exhaust thats why im trying to figure out what I should do

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
well I already had the h pipe from my last car and it has the mufflers and tailpipes on it and I cant stand the stock exhaust thats why im trying to figure out what I should do
Do you have longtubes? Because a shorty h pipe won't do you much good with shorty or stock manifolds. Without welding on some extensions that is.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a car with lts and the h pipe than started parting the car sold the lts couldnt sell the h pipe than bought another mustang so I had it laying around the shops all said they could do it but the only one that would take off my cats was gonna charge me 250

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
How long before you go turbo? I guess it's up to you if you want to do it or not.

If it were my car I would just stick with the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It pays to know the guys. I came in to get my x pipe put on and in front of me a guy wanted a cat-less exhaust and the guy said "no we dont do that" then when he left I ask if they could put the x pipe on and he said "sure" lol.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
you can always just cut out the cats and keep the stock manifolds. Dont know how it will sound but It will make things easier when you turbo

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah but what am i gonna do cut them in the parking lot you know i guess ill just have to keep them

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its not straight tho without a bender it would be impossible

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
its not straight tho without a bender it would be impossible
dont mess with the pre-cat thing. your main cat is what restricts your exhaust system, plus your 02 sensor is plugged into your pre-cat not the main cat. youll have to take the heat shield off to have room to clamp a pipe in.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
found a shop to do it for 80..score!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts