Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have bbk 1 5/8 equal length shorty headers. the passenger side went on with no problem. got to the drivers side and started gettin into someproblems was hard to fit into spot because of master cylinder but finally got it in/ not im having trouble mounting it to the head. its hiting the steering shaft and not letting the manifold sit to the head properly. is this normal. and wat should i do? any help is appreciated thank you...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
remove the motor mount nut on the drivers side and put a floor jack with a wide board under the oil pan and slowly jack the motor up a little, you don't need much only a little bit , that should give you enough clearance to get the header on , btw i've used bbk headers before and haven't had any problems with clearance

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
remove the motor mount nut on the drivers side and put a floor jack with a wide board under the oil pan and slowly jack the motor up a little, you don't need much only a little bit , that should give you enough clearance to get the header on , btw i've used bbk headers before and haven't had any problems with clearance
the header is in the position to be bolted on it justs hits the steering shaft even if i lift the motor up and bolt header on wouldn;t it still hit the shaft wen i lower it????

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
post a pic of it.... it shouldn't be touching the steering shaft.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Is the header needing to get past a point that the steering shaft it stopping it, or is it that the header won't sit flat as long as the shaft is connected?

It's normal for the stock rag joint to bump aftermarket headers. The sag in the old motor mounts usually promotes this. You can replace the mount, shim the mount, hit the header with a ball peen hammer, or go with an aftermarket steering shaft.

We chose install a new motor mount, as well as shim it for a little extra clearance, which worked fine. However, we just installed a Flaming River steering shaft and that thing is nowhere near the headers compared to that stock one.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had the same problem. Your motor mounts are shot. Replace the motor mounts and problem solved.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
got the new motor mounts engery suspension put them in thr exhaust went in perfect thanks alot guys. 5.0 mustang ftw!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts