Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im on a budget and just cant bring myself to buy the Trick flow kit. So...Would gt40p's with cobra upper and lower and a trickflow stage one cam be a nice combo?

·
Registered
656 Posts
that wouldnt be a bad combo but i would get gt40x instead of gt40p's. the gt40p's are iron vs the gt40x which are aluminum.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha. theres also like a 800 dollar difference...

·
Resident Headbanger
2,422 Posts
Im on a budget and just cant bring myself to buy the Trick flow kit. So...Would gt40p's with cobra upper and lower and a trickflow stage one cam be a nice combo?
That's a pretty good head/intake combo but the stock cam will deliver more torque below 4000rpm. If you really want the GT40P heads and Cobra intake, I suggest you keep the stock cam. The Trick Flow cam needs a higher-flowing heads/intake combo to perform better.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about like an f cam?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,422 Posts
The F cam will really throw your low rev torque down the toilet and that's not what you want unless you're building the engine purely for the strip. I'd avoid the Ford Racing "alphabet" cams altogether.
If you're looking for a useful increase in torque across the whole rev range compared to the stock cam, the best option would be the CompCams XE264HR12 (part no. 35-320-8) with 1.7 roller rockers. Together with the Cobra intake and GT40P heads, you should see about 290rwhp and 320rwtq which is enough to get you into high 12's on motor alone.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the info. I think im just gonna do 1.7rr on the stock H.O. cam

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
The Trick Flow cam would not kill the bottom end torque like stated about. You can run it with the GT40 heads if need be. You would be better off saving you money and buying the kit in the long run.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya. I know...But i have like no patience.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Just check classifieds or ebay. I have seen countless intakes/heads/cams on The Corral - Home for decent prices. I picked my TFS track heat up off of there for 380.00 shipped. I know there is a nice looking 95 cobra intake on ebay right now for around 300.00 You just have to have patience and time to look, you'll find something in your budget that will net you nice gains.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya I plan on getting a full top end...just probably not the trickflow...even though it would be nice to have.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,422 Posts
The Trick Flow cam would not kill the bottom end torque like stated about.
Certainly not to the extent that the F cam will kill it but there'll still be some lower rev torque loss compared to the stock cam. The 1.7 rockers on the stock cam is a nice combo.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
good deal...so im going gt40p's cobra intake and 1.7rr's and hopefully that will give me some nice gains.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts