Modded Mustang Forums banner

Head Gasket help

9K views 130 replies 15 participants last post by  1C2 
#1 ·
So I have a 99 mustang GT, and unfortunately it needs new head gaskets. I've done the head gaskets on my 01 dodge ram 1500 before, but it didn't have OHC. I really don't know what to expect. How much harder is it? Any good walk through online? I'm afraid to start and just end up overwhelmed and have it sit in pieces so any advice is appreciated. I would like to get this done as fast as I did on my dodge. Took me about from 8pm to 2am (was trading it the next day haha)

#3 ·
Me personally, I think it's almost easier to just pull the engine, swap head gaskets, and then put it back in. With a helper I can do that in a day. A couple of years back I did head gaskets on a friends 96 and it took us two days because we kept fighting with the space we were given.

#4 ·
Its easy and sounds worse then it really is. a torque wrench is mandatory as well as moly lube if you want a perfect clamping force or close. a good walk through online i am not aware of because most of us just go off memory...... start with intake and work your way in, tape every single thing that you take off as to where it goes, if you get into a bind ill be here.

Reactions: Abb0 and 1996 GT
#5 ·
Thanks for your tips guys! I suppose this won't go by as fast as my tuck. I think I will start tomorrow, so expect a lot of questions then haha. Unfortunately I don't have the resources to pull the engine out.

#6 ·
Did you already get the gaskets? youll need a intake gasket set, head gasket set with BOLTS, valve cover gaskets unless you can get them off without wrecking them or stretching them out.

Ill be around if you need help

#7 ·
I also recommend timing cover gasket and injector o rings on standby. You'll also need to get a fuel line disconnect tool unless you want to fight with the fuel rails the whole time. It's a pain but I did it in the car. Took 13 hours straight to reassemble by myself.

#8 ·
Fuel line disconnect tool? Also I have new head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. I'm hoping I can reuse valve cover gasket, and I know i'm supposed to get new bolts, I was planning on getting those soon but how important is that? I have friends who have re used them on cars with many more miles on them.

#9 ·
I recommend just getting the bolts, that way if f reusing yours does cause issues, you dont have to get new gaskets again...

Good luck and I am sure there are plenty of people here who can help!

#11 ·
I used these plastic disconnect tools I think the red one is the one we need. on the passenger side right around the heater core connections you'll see the place to disconnect. I highly recommend head bolts as well. This isn't a job you'll want to do again. I know that you've already bought the head gaskets, but this is a pretty good price for the set. I would also check the timing components for wear and see if the chains have slack etc. I was terrified to rip mine apart, but with the help of others on here it wasn't too bad. I'll PM you some info that will help you quite a bit.

AutoCraft 6 pc A/C and Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Tool Set AC502: Advance Auto Parts

Ford Racing Mustang GT 4.6L 2V Head Changing Kit M-6067-D46 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping

#12 ·
I recommend new bolts too but I have reused mine as well in the past by bringing the torque specs up 5 pounds trying to restretch the bolt. but im not 18 anymore eating Onions for lunch LOL yes at one point in my younger days I was so poor all I had to take for lunch if I had anything at all was an Onion and ill never forget them days LOL. the point here is unless your taking Onions for lunch BUY THE BOLTS :)

Reactions: Abb0
#13 ·
Well I am 18 but im not eating onions for lunch (yet). Ill get them today along with a few other things. Going to be starting soon. Its hot as hell and i dont have a garage or any shade so I might end up waiting till evening.

#14 ·
Well don't let it intimidating you, I'd you run into issues just stop back on here and we'll help you out.

#15 ·
So ive gotten to the point where i need a fuel line diconnect tool. Would I be able to just pick up one at autozone or oreillys? Im going to order a water pump (i also need to replace that) and injector o rings right now.

#19 ·
Alright, ill grab one tomorrow. I didnt get much done on the car, spent most of my time making room in my driveway, organizing stuff, and getting tools out. Tomorrow I will have the help of my brother who knows a good amount more than me, so hopefully ill get a lot done then. I ordered the bolts. I dont have very much budget left. I think I just have enough for an oil change and that tool, and maybe a few small things. Hopefully thats all I need.
Also I drained my oil and about half a cup of water came out before any oil, rip Royal Purple. Only about 500 miles since I put it in..

#20 ·
If money is tight I believe the fuel line disconnects are part of the rental tool program at most stores. Just give them a deposit and they give you the deposit back when you return the tool

#21 ·
I ended up just buying the tool, and its to small. But I just moved the fuel rails off to the side and I still have plenty of room to work. So my next question is how hard is it to get the egr valve off or out of the way. Im about to remove the intake manifold and its in the way.

#28 ·
You don't have to remove the exhaust manifolds to remove the heads. That's the way I did it and it was pretty easy as long as you have another set of hands to help with the extra weight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.