Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I heard that these mustang v6's are know to blow head gaskets is this true? Mine is leaking n I need to get it replaced before it blows.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, I have the same problem with about 84k miles.
I'm probably trading in for a newer mustang soon instead of worrying about mine more, that head gasket has screwed my entire cooling system for almost a year.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
how do you know that your HEAD gasket is leaking? what signs or indications are you seeing

and yes the pre99s are pretty known for blowing headgaskets in the later miles 80k+

·
Registered
162 Posts
yeah mine blew but not cause of mileage. i had a bad cooling system. the headgasket is cheap its gettin someone to replace em thats $$$. and replace both too. if you replace one and not the other "its like going back into the dirty clothes and gettin your boxers out to wear again". i dunno what the hell that means my auto tech teacher said that.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
if your headgasket is leaking stop driving now

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
yeah thats not good, your losing coolant and oil, they are mixing, and not being nice to your engine. you need to replace it ASAP

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
will you guys please tell me how and why you think yours is leaking cause i can almost garuntee its the valve cover you guys are all thinking about

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
will you guys please tell me how and why you think yours is leaking cause i can almost garuntee its the valve cover you guys are all thinking about

probably

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My machanic told me that mine was leakin he said its not bad n its not mixing in the oil yet, but its somthing that needs to be fixed in the near futur.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
My machanic told me that mine was leakin he said its not bad n its not mixing in the oil yet, but its somthing that needs to be fixed in the near futur.
yeah like tomorrow lol

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its not that bad dude, i just had my oil changed on saturday n there was no antifreeze mixed in da oil.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Its not that bad dude, i just had my oil changed on saturday n there was no antifreeze mixed in da oil.
yeah but a leaking headgasket no matter how minor can open up at anytime and you'll have a mess

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i know thats why i wanna get it fixed as soon as i get da money.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well I have oil residue in my coolant reservoir, and I'm losing coolant faster than I should be. The coolant also sits on the engine and smells when I idle for a while.

Is that still a leaking head gasket?

edit: I have no idea about white exhaust smoke, I mean I have it but it's freezing here so everyone has it.

Also, I'm noticing me and Mo have almost the exact same car lol, except mine's a vert. I wonder if it's more of a 97 v6 problem and less of a general 94-98 problem? I'm talking out of my ass though.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
Well I have oil residue in my coolant reservoir, and I'm losing coolant faster than I should be. The coolant also sits on the engine and smells when I idle for a while.

Is that still a leaking head gasket?

edit: I have no idea about white exhaust smoke, I mean I have it but it's freezing here so everyone has it.

Also, I'm noticing me and Mo have almost the exact same car lol, except mine's a vert. I wonder if it's more of a 97 v6 problem and less of a general 94-98 problem? I'm talking out of my ass though.
oil in coolant=blown

·
Registered
965 Posts
mine was blown for a long while and never got worse. It did however overheat all the damn time which is no good for any part of the engine. coolant didnt get into the oil, but oil/carbon deposits made there way into the coolant lines and radiator. I didn't replace it earlier cause at the time i didnt realize the issue because for the longest time we thought it was air bubbles in the system and thermostat issues.

·
Registered
965 Posts

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
yeah but a leaking headgasket no matter how minor can open up at anytime and you'll have a mess
thats called the mechanic that made it but didnt made it

a REAL mechanic will know if a head gasket is bad. theres no its only a lil bad
if its leaking its BAD
the pressures in the cylinder is not worth risking.

if its leaking its bad
and i truly do not see how you guys think its leaking just like the mechanic...you will get smoke,(white) or your oil will be black/white and dis-colored

also a loss of coolant will be noticable

1 - 20 of 56 Posts