Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When a shop installs new heads do they take the whole engine out or can they just do it while the engine is in?

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
i personally pulled the motor, but as ken said it can be done in the car. when they have everything apart tell them you want to take the front cover & cam covers for the night so you can paint them.

·
Blood, Sweat and Gears...
2,139 Posts
The shops that I deal with pull the motor for a head change. If you get a new set of heads you should conceder a new set of timing chain tensioners, the new ones are cheap in price and they are the ratcheting type. The stock ones bounce back and forth and with aggressive cams that can cause some strange error codes. The new ratchet type stay tight .

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
The shops that I deal with pull the motor for a head change. If you get a new set of heads you should conceder a new set of timing chain tensioners, the new ones are cheap in price and they are the ratcheting type. The stock ones bounce back and forth and with aggressive cams that can cause some strange error codes. The new ratchet type stay tight .
or you could go with the 2v tensioners. being metal, they're alot stronger than the OEM plastic ones.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
and if you decide to use ARP head studs, you'll probably want to pull the motor out since getting the heads onto the studs will be a bitch with the engine in the bay.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
or you could go with the 2v tensioners. being metal, they're alot stronger than the OEM plastic ones.
Can you send me a link where I can purchase the 2v tensioners. Now I have a 3v the 2v tensioner will work?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried doing a search on the 2v timing chain tensioner I found 1 but I don't think its the one I was looking for. Do they come in left and right or do they sell them as one?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts