Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so one of the things that annoys the hell out of me in the mustang is the seats. the head rests are way to far back and not adjustable. i want to pull em out and put an angle in the mount so it comes out tward the head more. problem is i haven't been able to figure out how to pull em out without ****in em up. so ah...how do i do it?

·
Registered
922 Posts
No idea, but I agree - they are totally useless in our cars. The ones in my '95 would rotate forward so they were actually usuable. I dont even think ours would help you in an accident.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Here's an illustration from the shop manual:

You need to release the bottom edge of the back of the seat back upholstery and then go up into the seat backwith a screwdriver or other tool to release the catch...

A major PITA which is why my car still has headrests (that and the fact that SWMBO would insist I keep the one on "her" side anyway)...

Reactions: dansgt

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sweet thank you. my plan is to put a nice bend in it to put em in a useable position. that helps alot thanks man.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so yes im ressurecting a year and a half old thread lol
finally tried this, tracked down some tilting head rests on craigslist (guy was selling seats, i swapped him headrests and gave him $20) so i had to try, wasn't as big of a pain as i thought, and 100% worth the swap. they came out of a 96 so the match isnt perfect for color, but its damn close (matches better in person then the pics) now the seats are actually comfortable. :cool:

cliffyk, + reps, that pic really helped.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
looks good. but i have to ask what the hell happened to your seatbelt router thing? It looked like someone tried using it as a chew toy or something:D Im not gonna ask what that thing is in your 3rd pic:shiftyeyes

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol theres black duct tape on it to keep the seat belt from coming out. and my wife was reaching for something back there haha.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
lol theres black duct tape on it to keep the seat belt from coming out. and my wife was reaching for something back there haha.
Oh IC. Sure she was... I wont say anything:shiftyeyes

:lol I see her feet in the picture now:D

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha yea...
ya the seat belt kept comin out so i put tape there. ghetto but it works. ****ing things werent even on the car when i bought it, had to track those down at the junk yard.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
i might have to do this mod to my car now. it always bothered me when im just want to relax that i would have to lean my head far back just to lay it on that headrest. was it difficult at all?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not nearly as difficult as i thought. the problem will be tracking down the replacements haha. what i was gonna do was put a bend in the arm for it but never got around to it.
you literally just separate the leather at the bottom of the seat and then the pic cliffyk posted shows everything you need to know. it makes the seats comfortable now. well worth it, i'd have paid more if he asked for more.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have since found that you can lift the headrest, and then insert a 18" or so long piece of metal coat hanger into the slot in the headrest bracket, down into the slot 8"-9" until it stops--next push the headrest and the wire down into the seat, and then pull the headrest only up and out.

It's one of those things that will be tricky the first couple times you do it, and then take 10 seconds once you get the "knack"...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
ya i thought about doing that but didnt have anything strong enough to try with that i didnt still need :dunno
on the way to work today, felt like driving a different car. im amazed how much the headrests changed the feel of the seats.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I was about to say... Who the hell resurrected this thread, but then I saw it was you, so I guess it's okay;) Good work on the new headrests, I'm glad they worked out for you. They look alright, and it's a good mod for only having $20 into it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
looks pretty nice too. good work

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
The headrests don't come like that stock? Mine "fold" forward like that and I believe they were stock...maybe an option from the factory?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was about to say... Who the hell resurrected this thread, but then I saw it was you, so I guess it's okay;) Good work on the new headrests, I'm glad they worked out for you. They look alright, and it's a good mod for only having $20 into it.
yea it was resurrect this or start a new thread but i'd be referring to this thread so i resurrected it :dunno

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The headrests don't come like that stock? Mine "fold" forward like that and I believe they were stock...maybe an option from the factory?
it was an option. one of only 2 options the original owner of my car didnt get. the other being the mach 1000, but i've got a sub in back so dont care about that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey Dan it's Tae (the guy you swapped the head rests with), I'm glad those head rests worked out for you. And you're right, the color does look like they match better in person.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts