Modded Mustang Forums banner

Header bolt...

2K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  87 5.0 
#1 ·
Hey guys ok so Im gettin a new motor in 2 months but for now I have to ride this one I got the header bolts out semi easy (havnt replaced gasket yet) but one of them seems ot be broke off down in the hole I used another one to put in and screw in and it didnt want to go just a little bit

So I was told to drill it out but I dont think I can get my drill that far in the motor like the engine bay so what can I do? (I cant pull my motor out no where to do it and not the knowledge to):confused: Im kind of lost please help guys thanks

#4 ·
is there any of the bolt sticking out? or is it in the hole?

if there is any showing, they have oils designed to break apart at rusted threads, but it takes a couple days, then you twist it out with vise grips.

if its in the hole, there are 3 methods, but they all require drilling.

#5 ·
yea thats gonna suck, BUT ill tell you what ive done, go ahead and start putting the gasket in and leave header back...right before you get ready to tighten the bolts silicone around the bolt thats broke....and tighten the two bolts on each side first.
If your getting another motor in a couple months it would be worth a shot, mine lasted awhile

#6 ·
if its really deep, get the broken part of the bolt and grind off some material so it can be snug too. (combine with silicone method)

#8 ·
Ok im kinda of lost on that I will prob have to do the silicone method just any silicone (well high heat obisouly but does it matter what type) yeah Im not going to be driving it much just for 2 months then new motor yay and all the stuff on it is good =P and it comes with headers

Yes it is deep dwarvenn I dont understand grind it off some could you kind of explain

and just so I understand (i wont be raw doggin it or anything) when I put the gasket on before I put the headers back I silicone that hole to where it comes out (the silicone coming out of the hole) and then I put headers back on and tighten down the very left bolt then the very right bolt and then tighten down all the others and thats it right?]

Thanks alot guys, you guys are saviors

P.S. o i think i see what your saying o no it is broke off deep inside the block its not sticking out at all I can get another screw maybe 1/4 to 1/2 the way down before it stops

#9 ·
Yea man just get black high temp, any part store will have it. If the bolt is coming out of the hole any is what were talking about grinding. If the bolt is broke off in the head then you wont have to grind. Your not gonna want to grind much at all even in you have to or the header will leak regardless. Basically make sure the head is flush then get a couple bolts started usually on the ends. Then drop the gasket in and start the rest. Before you tighten up the bolts Silicone all around the Bolt not really in the hole more on the gasket and head. Then tighten the bolts on both sides first....then tightenn the rest and let it set for an hour or so before you start it.

#10 ·
ok let me get this straight sorry just dont want to mess it up still need her for 2 months lol

Take out the old gasket it and have the 2 side bolts kind of tight drop in the new header gasket and tighten them down some then before I tighten the rest down silicone like like around the inside of the hole (underneath the header kind of) then tighten the rest down?

Sorry just want to be sure and thanks guys!

#11 ·
ok lets say the broken bolt is like 1 inch long. the part you have thats not in the block i mean. you take it []==== and make it like this []=== so you can actually tighten it. it wont be as strong since less thread contact but its better than a hole

#12 ·
ok well thats the thing I dont have the other piece of the bolt It was already like that so its just broke off down in there

Im tryin to talk my lil bro into spottin me that motor if he does Im just going to drive up there and we're going to switch them Im waitin for him to call me back

#17 ·
I'd wanna get that bolt out. Call any shops around to see if they think they could get it out?

I know the bolt backout kit we tried just broke off inside the bolt we were trying to back out.

Could drill and re-tap
i would but see I only have 50$ this dang job is still on hold for my background check but Im going to another job tomorrow for 13$ a hour
and im sure that a shop would charge like 150-300 to pull out my engine just to get that bolt out

#21 ·
well man i found someone to get it out and I called my lil bro about the engine and he never called me back makes me wonder if he is bs'n or not if he is im gonna be really upset and if hes not o yeah im gonna run her hard lol

#24 ·
ok guys my friends dad is doing it.... 500$ and I priced it another place it was 900$ so I guess I got a good deal he's getting the bolt out putting new ones in, changing oil, oil filter, and all the gaskets so ouch I guess but you gotta do what you gotta do but I still love her

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.