Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of a PI swap (PI cams into NPI heads and PI intake). Anyway, anyone have a trick or a method of taking out the bolts that attach the header to the mid pipe? The passenger side in particular. I tried spraying it down with PB blaster...no go. I'm letting it soak over night right now. I've also tried various swivels/extensions with either a breaker bar or an electric impact wrench. Is there any other way?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm in the middle of a PI swap (PI cams into NPI heads and PI intake). Anyway, anyone have a trick or a method of taking out the bolts that attach the header to the mid pipe? The passenger side in particular. I tried spraying it down with PB blaster...no go. I'm letting it soak over night right now. I've also tried various swivels/extensions with either a breaker bar or an electric impact wrench. Is there any other way?
your going to have to heat them up, i doubt you have access to accediline (its 4:30 am get over the spelling idk why im up) torches..goto the hardware store and get a propane torch setup...heat up the bolts/ studs as hot as you can, prob going to have to sit with heat on it for about 5 minutes. then immediately just soak the crap out of it with pb blaster...i just did this with mine when i replaced the gasket on the passengers side.

a long extension w/ swivel on a good electric impact would make it easier but to stay safe and stay away from snapping studs i'd use a breaker bar and just back and forth it. make sure if you feel something going to break. STOP..and repeat the heat and pb trick..its going to suck..but theres no real other way

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding. I have a propane torch so ill give that a try. Man, I hear you about stopping if you think you are going to break something. I've already broke two swivels. These bolts are a real pain. I'll let you know if the heat worked. Thanks

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
+1 heats is your best friend for those 2 bolts on the passenger side,
heat em up for about 5 minutes do 1 bolt at a time chances are when it cools back off its gonna stop turning again! like he said then soak em in wd-40 or pb blaster to cool em back down then heat the hell out of em again,
and if you have a 1/2 swivel that works alot better than a 3/8's
enjoy.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yeah i wasnt really talking about tools thats what warrantys are for...i was talking about the bolts/studs. just dont try and retorch it right after you pb it! lol it will catch big time on fire!

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
Unfortunately they are quite a bitch to get off. I got mine off with a 2 1/2 foot breaker bar and my big ole ass hanging on it. They were the 2cnd hardest bolts iv'e had to take off the car so far.

The worst were my driveshaft to pinion shaft bolts. I got them off with no problem when i switched to the aluminum driveshaft, but about a year later i went to take them off and had to put it on my neighbors lift and use the same breaker bar but with BOTH of us pushing on it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success! The torch and PB blaster worked. I had to torch a couple times and they were still a bitch to take off but they at least they are off. For the record, the fumes from the PB blaster fuming from the torched bolts are pretty wicked. Thanks guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts