Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that ceramic coated resists rusting much longer than the stainless steel or chrome as well as keep the temp down in the engine bay, but here's my question...

Will chrome or stainless steel headers still rust in no time if my mustang isn't my daily driver, is garage kept, and is never let out in the rain or snow? Or will they eventually rust anyways from humidity in the air/condensation etc?

Thanks

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
chrome and stainless will discolor due to the heat. I have stainless, and they don't look bad, even after over a year of dd. Chrome headers are a bad idea imo, because chrome can flake off after a relatively short time. If you want the best, without discoloration, get ceramic.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
If you havent already bought the headers Maryland speed offers great prices on headers and they have different coating options, I was able to get them to throw one in for free when I got my Kooks from them.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haven't purchased them yet. I was leaning towards the ceramic coating but recently secured another parking spot in my complex so I can get get another car and retire the stang from being my daily driver. That got me wondering whether stainless headers on a garage kept car, never driven in the rain, would still rust?

Point taken about the discoloration, forgot to cosider that.

·
1,919 Posts
stainless shouldn't "rust"
it can oxidize or turn a different shade. Stainless tends to get kind of a brownish-gold patina after use. Maybe a little rainbow effect, but nothing like chrome. Chrome headers suck imo. If you want good headers, get stainless or drop some coin on ceramic. Back away from painted headers as if they were rattlesnakes.

·
1,919 Posts
here... horrible pic, but these are stainless Pypes after about a year.

EDIT: wow, that's dirty...

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
i wouldn't get the chrome finish on headers. it'll flake off in no time.
if you can afford it, get SS with ceramic coating.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
just because its "stainless steel" dosen't mean it's a quality product, there are many different grades of stainless 304,409,308 ect.. any 300 series stainless is superior product to the 400 series any day of the week. So be careful when you buy because some stainless has just enough nickle to not be classified as mild steel. Anyway:blah ,I think stainless is the way to go as long as its a 300 series material.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So chrome is out, I'll have to weight the prices on the 304 grade SS and the ceramic coated ones. And thanks bluedevil for the pics. Btw, how was the install with the pypes LT's?

·
1,919 Posts
how was the install with the pypes LT's?
Not too bad...with LT's you have to remove the starter, motor mounts, and some brands require disconnecting the steerring shaft. You have to raise the motor up a few inches, which i did by putting a telephone book (all taped up with duct tape so the pages wouldn't shift) under the oil pan and raising it with a floor jack. Not what I'd call "fun", but totally worth it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts