Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have the gaskets and just need my header gaskets replaced on each side. i called for a quote and was quoted for 390 just for labor. is that a reasonable price? seems steep to me but ive never replaced headers or gaskets plus im a college student.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
That's pretty steep to me. Are you near the coast where you get a lot of salt in the air that rusts cars out? Up here in NY shops always charge more than somewhere with no excessive rusting due to salt because everything is tougher to do and things break easier. Even for up here, that seems a bit high priced though. Should be able to get right at the bolts and get everything off pretty easily on a stock fox.

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
that seems pretty high for something a good shop caould do in an hour

·
Registered
87 Posts
way steep. for sure

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea i live in the bay area in cali but this shop usually has great deals and do a great job. I have aftermarket headers and I've already had the bolts tightened and the leak continues so I guess I'm gonna have to shop around a little bit

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yea i live in the bay area in cali but this shop usually has great deals and do a great job. I have aftermarket headers and I've already had the bolts tightened and the leak continues so I guess I'm gonna have to shop around a little bit
Its not hard to switch them out. im no mechanic and i figured it out. but think what you could do with the money you would save. that always motivates me to try it myself. i did my clutch myself, and i had never done anything else other that spark plugs, wires, and oil. you can probably do it in one afternoon

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is a book that the Bureau of Automotive Repairs uses to designate the time it takes a QUALIFIED mechanic to complete the repairs. Find out how many man hours this book says should be needed then shop around for the lowest per hour labor cost. Do the math in your head and you should get a ruff estimate of cost and time. Recently I had a 1996 Cadillac FWD that needed a tranny swap. The shop labor was $95 an hour. And it was to take 12 1/2 man hours to complete. do the math. That comes out to almost $1,200 in labor. I ended up doing the swap my self....took me approximately 15 hours.

·
Mustang Fanatic
724 Posts
I use Mitchell OnDemand 5 for estimates and it says its 2.8 hours, which at $65 an hour is $182.
meaning they charge close to $140 an hour... however i can tell you from experience that with out proper tools, it will take A LONG time on the passenger side if you got all the smog equipment still on the car.
Shop around. i'd do it if i still lived in San Jose lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
@ ALEXLOPEZ62188....I never heard of Mitchell on demand 5 ....Awesome!!! Most people don't even know that there are standards of man hours that must be adhered to. Also a shops hourly labor rate must be displayed in plain view.

·
Mustang Fanatic
724 Posts
Yea man, a lot of these places charge insane amount for work. At $65 an hour, we're actually one of the cheapest in my area....
Mitchell is a software that i pay for monthly for all possible data for every car up to 2010.... its pretty helpful. and you're absolutely right, the Bureau was on my ass about not having the sign displayed a while back hahaha

1 - 12 of 12 Posts