Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never done anything with headers before. How much trouble is it to replace headers? Can a novice "do it yourselfer" do the job without taking it to a shop?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have taken mine off of the motor and exaust pipe by my self and am a beginner. the header bolts going into the motor came out easy But the exaust flang bolts took a little blood

·
Registered
218 Posts
are you upgrading or taking motor apart? I am just doing head gaskets on mine.

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts
it isent realy hard, it is just more of a pain in the ass, because of wear some of the bolts r u can't get much of a turn on them so it takes a while.

·
Rainbows Mechanic
1,612 Posts
make sure you do it while the car is cooled down :D haha

·
MM's official Chevy guy
2,024 Posts

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
are you taking out the old and putting in long tubes or what? ... if your replacing with new shorties its about a 3 hours job... if your doing long tubes it will take a little longer... mine ended up being a 5 day project... ran out of wd40... and had a hell of a time with the new header bolts... not fun

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Mac longtube headers... wouldn't call it too custom cause a lot of people who really want to re do there exhaust go that route...

then custom w.e you want from there back...

check your state emission laws before you get to deep into this and find out that you have tests

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
like i said it took me 5 days but thats cause i had class and other BS on top of that... but other wise no they aren't hard to install...

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
real quick, with long tubes and say a prochamber, i'll need mil eliminators and oxygen sensor extensions right?

Yep.
Or an xcal and 02 extenders.

Btw theirs only like 2 or 3 known v6 mustangs with a prochamber...

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
Yep.
Or an xcal and 02 extenders.

Btw theirs only like 2 or 3 known v6 mustangs with a prochamber...
yup and your one of them :rolleyes:

its no big deal they bolt up the same ... and prochamber "Increase" performance... its just a mid pipe

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
if you remove you catalytic convertors your computer can tell that they are missing... and it throws a Malfunction Indication Light ... or MIL... the best way to remove this light is by lieing to the computer and convincing it that the cats are there... and one of two ways to do this is with MIL elims... the other way is to get a tuner and reprogram your computer to believe the cats are there

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
yea... im going to get some heat mat once i get my tax refund and some header wrap to cushion it... its only bad between 1k and 1.7k ish ... other then that its fine...

I don't mind it either... its not bad at all just existent

1 - 20 of 34 Posts