Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about finishing off my Bassani Xpipe and catback exhaust with a set of their mid length headers. I know that this will be a costly install but I'm not sure how much HP gain I would benefit from doing it? I know that it would improve the exhaust flow and sound alot better, but headers ($600) and labor will be about $1000. Would the end result be worth spending that much cash?? Thanks

96-01 FORD MUSTANG COBRA Bassani Stainless Steel Exhaust

·
Registered
224 Posts
from a dollar/hp standpoint, i don't think it's worth it. from a sound standpoint, it does help. i did it only because i was replacing the whole exhaust when i bought the car and knew i was going to do it eventually anyway. but, if you're weighing the options of what will produce the most gains, headers are probably not the best investment.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from a dollar/hp standpoint, i don't think it's worth it. from a sound standpoint, it does help. i did it only because i was replacing the whole exhaust when i bought the car and knew i was going to do it eventually anyway. but, if you're weighing the options of what will produce the most gains, headers are probably not the best investment.
Do you have Bassani on your car? How do you like the overall sound??

I have been looking for a used set with no luck. Maybe I'll put the money on building my suspension for now. Thanks

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
why mid length get the full long tubes. You will pick up 3ish mph after the install

·
Registered
87 Posts
have you looked into Pypes Headers...they're half the price of most headers and still sound great...for Pypes plus labor you'd probably be close to what the cost would be for the others.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why mid length get the full long tubes. You will pick up 3ish mph after the install
I have been told that mid lengths are the only ones that will fit my X pipe?? Longtubes will not work with my setup.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
For me, it was my favorite mod. It really brought my tune/4.10s to life. The car flows so much better now. It was a night and day difference. I only paid 400.00 for labor though. If they are going to charge you 1000.00 then yeah it may not be that worth it for you.

·
I wanna SPRAY!
7,461 Posts
Get a good used set and do the install yourself. Most people claim they aren't worth the hassle but it's one of the next mods on my list.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me, it was my favorite mod. It really brought my tune/4.10s to life. The car flows so much better now. It was a night and day difference. I only paid 400.00 for labor though. If they are going to charge you 1000.00 then yeah it may not be that worth it for you.
The headers will cost $600 and labor around $400. I know that its a mod I've wanted to finish. If it makes a real difference with my tune and 4:10s, i'm still thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
I would say not worth it hp wise unless F/I.
Thats not going to stop me from doing them eventually though. I'm just going to regret them whenever I have to drop the trans.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
The headers will cost $600 and labor around $400. I know that its a mod I've wanted to finish. If it makes a real difference with my tune and 4:10s, i'm still thinking about it.
ohhh ok so you already have a tuner and 4.10s.. In that case I'd say do it. I think those bassanis are mid length headers if I'm correct. I'm not sure the performance difference between mid length and full length long tubes.

I know what you mean about its a mod you've been wanting to finish. I felt the same way and I don't regret it at all. If you didn't have the 4.10s/tuner Id say maybe pass, but the LT's I feel really compliment the tuner/4.10s. It wasn't till the headers that I really enjoyed my Tuner/4.10s.

Now I'm not saying you are going to shave off a whole second at the strip but the way the car drives is a night and day difference and you pick up quite a bit of torque and even some top end. I switched from an H to and X though so maybe the x helped with the topend.

Also if you do decide to go with headers you will need a new tune to go with them. With out a new tune, my car kept stalling while I was driving down the road.

What other mods were you thinking to get done with $1000.00?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ohhh ok so you already have a tuner and 4.10s.. In that case I'd say do it. I think those bassanis are mid length headers if I'm correct. I'm not sure the performance difference between mid length and full length long tubes.

I know what you mean about its a mod you've been wanting to finish. I felt the same way and I don't regret it at all. If you didn't have the 4.10s/tuner Id say maybe pass, but the LT's I feel really compliment the tuner/4.10s. It wasn't till the headers that I really enjoyed my Tuner/4.10s.

Now I'm not saying you are going to shave off a whole second at the strip but the way the car drives is a night and day difference and you pick up quite a bit of torque and even some top end. I switched from an H to and X though so maybe the x helped with the topend.

Also if you do decide to go with headers you will need a new tune to go with them. With out a new tune, my car kept stalling while I was driving down the road.

What other mods were you thinking to get done with $1000.00?
My second option would be to build up my suspension with the $1000. I think that I'm gonna go ahead with the headers. Will probably order them from RPM outlet. They seem to have the best price so far.

Still checking around for the best install prices too.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Get full length and just save a tad more and buy a new shorty mid pipe and sell yours to get some money back

·
Registered
169 Posts
People always consider just the mid to top end HP and TQ gains they get from headers for their decision. You should be aware that Fast Fords magazine did a test with some headers a while back and found the biggest reason to install them, even shorty headers by the way, wasn't for the up top gains but because they lower your overall HP and TQ curve. When we mod our cars alot of the mods raise that curves where we get more up top but end up losing on the bottom end. So what they found was that headers bring that curve back down where you get alot of your bottom end performance back with a slight increase up top. If you ask me, with our 4.6 motors, that is def worth it.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I look at longtubes as a magnifier. I say this because by themselves, they don't make a lot of additional peak horsepower, but they add just that little bit which is magnified the more mods you do. The more you do, the more beneficial longtubes become in the long run. That being said, I waited until I had done most everything else that was cheaper before I added them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts