Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process at the moment. I have the manifolds off, but am having trouble routing my header in. Did you lift the motor? Also is there anything besides unbolting motor mounts, that I need to do before lifting it? Also, what was your lift point?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am assuming you didnt drop the k member. Place a piece of 2x6 between the jack and the oil pan and lift from there. Don't lift too much though.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
we had to pull my oil dipstick out too... which took a few minutes.. and yes, jack the motor up one side at a time. at least, that was easier for us

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am assuming you didnt drop the k member. Place a piece of 2x6 between the jack and the oil pan and lift from there. Don't lift too much though.
It doesn't seem like this would really free up that much space, but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My problem right now is getting it around the Transmission. Right where the starter bolts up. Any help is much appreciated. Im kinda at a dead end. I am unable to drop the k-member.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I lifted it up about 1-2 inches and cleared fine, wiggle it in there shell go, Watch lifting the engine to high, might have to really work with it, but I did the install without touching the k member, just took the started off and put a peice of wood under the pan and lifted her up

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Why can't you drop the k-member? it will be a PITA with the tranny in. Especialy the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't have a good way to support the engine, and I don't have anyone helping me so, moving the k member would be tough, and re-installing it alone would be even harder.

For some reason the passenger side simply will not go in. It is making hard contact on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
place the jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan and start jacking it up, thats all I had to do, it was still tight but it fit in there eventually

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
place the jack with a piece of wood under the oil pan and start jacking it up, thats all I had to do, it was still tight but it fit in there eventually
I did, but I'm a little worried about going to high. And like I said, the engine isn't the problem, Im making hard contact on the transmission.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
You may have to "clearance" the tranny tunnel a little if you are hitting it and the tranny. Did you completly remove the motor mount on that side?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
yea well your tranny should go up a little with it

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, I didn't remove the motor mount, I just un-bolted it so that I could jack it up. I may have to remove the motor mount. That may help. I could take the header in at a different angle.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may have to "clearance" the tranny tunnel a little if you are hitting it and the tranny. Did you completly remove the motor mount on that side?

I also noticed that my passenger side floorbored has already been "clearenced" indicating that it has had headers on it at one time. Which is wierd, because it had the stock manifolds, h-pipe, and even the stock ford cat-back. Most people just cut the cat back off.

·
EMT
6,566 Posts
I don't have a good way to support the engine, and I don't have anyone helping me so, moving the k member would be tough, and re-installing it alone would be even harder.

For some reason the passenger side simply will not go in. It is making hard contact on the transmission.
I changed out my K member, put l/ts in, mid pipe on, coil overs on, and the bumpsteer kit all by my self! not to mention i put all 4 lowering springs on by my self 2 months before... lol and Im just 20 and I never did it before and it took a little time but it was FUN! PITA though. lol Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Try removing the starter?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The starter is removed. It's where the starter mounts that it's making contact.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts