Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I swapped out my shitty Mac headers and H-pipe for some BBK shorties and a Pypes X-pipe. Everything fit fine but the X-pipe does sit a little low.. Anyways, When I had the Mac shorties on, I couldn't get all the bolts in because they were warped. So it basically sounded like ****. Now I put my BBKs on and it sounds the same but a little quieter. I looked at my manifold gaskets and some material was missing, leaving just the inner metal. But it was just spots missing. Would this make exhaust leaks and have it sound shitty like if I was missing bolts? I'm gonna change the gaskets next week but I was just wondering because its really annoying :sorry

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'd change gaskets if you swapped anyways. Header gaskets will leak sometimes if not tended to but old ones are bad

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd change gaskets if you swapped anyways. Header gaskets will leak sometimes if not tended to but old ones are bad
They're like 3 weeks old but I didn't have 3 flanges bolted on at all because they were warped so I think the gasket material literally got blown away. I had to reuse them until next week because im broke though... Would they make my car sound bad though if the gaskets are leaking?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
swap new gaskets in and after a few heat cycles retorque them but don't over do it.

with the x pipe you should be able to put a jack under the middle of it. loosen the bolts on each flange (to catback and to headers) then jack the xpipe up to your liking then tighten all bolts and remove jack.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swap new gaskets in and after a few heat cycles retorque them but don't over do it.

with the x pipe you should be able to put a jack under the middle of it. loosen the bolts on each flange (to catback and to headers) then jack the xpipe up to your liking then tighten all bolts and remove jack.
Alright, I'm planning on some new ones next wednesday.

No, the downpipes that connect to the headers go down low and it makes the whole thing lower. It's not that bad, just lower than my h-pipe was. And I did that jack thing because I remember you saying that in my other thread and it helped a little but not much. No biggie though, Sounds wicked

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
They're like 3 weeks old but I didn't have 3 flanges bolted on at all because they were warped so I think the gasket material literally got blown away. I had to reuse them until next week because im broke though... Would they make my car sound bad though if the gaskets are leaking?
Whats next?

"My tranny is whining"

I only had a half of a quart of gear oil because I am a broke ass. Do you guys think this is causing my tranny to whine? Or is it because I post too many stupid questions and I put old broken gaskets back on my $hit.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whats next?

"My tranny is whining"

I only had a half of a quart of gear oil because I am a broke ass. Do you guys think this is causing my tranny to whine? Or is it because I post too many stupid questions and I put old broken gaskets back on my .
I didn't think the gaskets would make it as loud as it is. And they're 3 weeks old. And I'm broke because dump all my money into my car.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
using a gasket with a hole is like a water balloon with a bunch of pin holes in it, but a couple hundred psi pushing out of it, so yes bad gaskets will give you a bad leak/sound. exhaust leaks make even the best cars sounds like ****. if all else fails get some ultra copper and seal it between the head/header and the collector/midpipe

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

I did that but I made the mistake of not loosening the flange bolts and now I have an exhaust leak

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
I didn't think the gaskets would make it as loud as it is. And they're 3 weeks old. And I'm broke because dump all my money into my car.
don't beat on the car with exhaust leaks right off the manifold like your talking about because she'll burn a valve up

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
using a gasket with a hole is like a water balloon with a bunch of pin holes in it, but a couple hundred psi pushing out of it, so yes bad gaskets will give you a bad leak/sound. exhaust leaks make even the best cars sounds like ****. if all else fails get some ultra copper and seal it between the head/header and the collector/midpipe
Thank you for answering my question. I'll get some new gaskets

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't beat on the car with exhaust leaks right off the manifold like your talking about because she'll burn a valve up
I try to drive like a grandma with it like this. but thanks for the heads up. I'm actually gonna see if I can scrape up some money somehow and get some gaskets tomorrow

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a pair of BBKs and but I hear that the ball will tend to warp as well
Never heard of that. Mine arent warped, and I bought them used. Everything fit perfect actually and I really like the full solid flange design on the BBKs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts