Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys so i have a leak on my drivers side where the header bolts up to the midpipe.. the air is coming out of the bottom but the wierd thing is that the bolt is driven in all the way and it appears to be all sealed up... started happening when i raised my exhaust up so it didnt hit the ground anymore:mad:

Not rlly sure what to do.. i was gonna try putting some RTV but nto sure if that would just be a short time fix... i had a code yesterdaday but both sides were leaking.. thought i fixed so i cleared the code and realized that the drivers side is still leaking but the light didnt come back on which is good... but it just sounds like crap when im on the gas i can hear it and it bugs me... if anyone has a good idea to fix lemme knwo or else ill prolly just bring it to a muffler shop, whichid rather not do:eek:

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
hey guys so i have a leak on my drivers side where the header bolts up to the midpipe.. the air is coming out of the bottom but the wierd thing is that the bolt is driven in all the way and it appears to be all sealed up... started happening when i raised my exhaust up so it didnt hit the ground anymore:mad:

Not rlly sure what to do.. i was gonna try putting some RTV but nto sure if that would just be a short time fix... i had a code yesterdaday but both sides were leaking.. thought i fixed so i cleared the code and realized that the drivers side is still leaking but the light didnt come back on which is good... but it just sounds like crap when im on the gas i can hear it and it bugs me... if anyone has a good idea to fix lemme knwo or else ill prolly just bring it to a muffler shop, whichid rather not do:eek:
Did you loosen the midpipe before you jacked it up so it wouldnt scrape?

Best bet would be to unbolt it from the catback. Loosen the bolts on the studs at the manifold, get the midpipe to make it fit nice in snug in the exhaust manifold, and finger tighten the bolts on the studs.

Then connect it to the catback, get those finger tight. Then put a jack on the crossover on the X pipe, jack it up so it sits up high, then crank down the midpipe to catback bolts, and then the midpipe to manifold bolts.

Thats what I did like a week ago, and seems to be fine. No issues. Before I had a leak at the passenger side, and the midpipe sat to low.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The factory exhaust maanifolds have a shoulder on the studs and it wont seat right, I grinded mine off and now no leaks, it'll appear tight but most aftermarket midpipes wont seat right, you can always get a stud extractor and just put some bolts in

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Yea thats another thing, I took out my stock studs with a stud extractor, and got some at Ace hardware. Fits a lot better.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Most after market H and X pipes have the drivers side flange to large for the factory manifold. Mymid pipes always came with a slip in reducer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts