Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've googled, and read numerous postings regarding wrapping your headers, most of them negative. I really want to for personal reasons though so does anyone here have any good experience with heat wrapped headers? Thanks

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
not really needed unless your running a turbo because of the excessive amount of heat it produces... otherwise it'll rust/rot out your exhaust allot quicker

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Had it on a friends lt's on his LS1 swapped nissan for a couple years now with no issues at all. Pulled the wrap off one header last year just to check the condition because of all the bad rap the stuff has and the header looked perfect still. This is in a daily driven summer car that saw rain and shine. It'll be going on my new combo this year. Keeps underhood temps down quite a bit. I suspect the quality of the header has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the personal reason is pretty stupid, but I like the way it looks, and I actually like doing the wrapping, don't ask me why because I do not know. I have a brand new unused set of BBK chrome shorty headers Ill be using and I live in a very dry environment, southern California. Could I expect rusted out headers in 2 years or so or would they last a few years wrapped? Thanks again.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well the personal reason is pretty stupid, but I like the way it looks, and I actually like doing the wrapping, don't ask me why because I do not know. I have a brand new unused set of BBK chrome shorty headers Ill be using and I live in a very dry environment, southern California. Could I expect rusted out headers in 2 years or so or would they last a few years wrapped? Thanks again.
i have a pair of ford motorsport headers, i cleaned and sanded them to bare metal an resprayed using a high temp ceramic spray. if you have chrome headers they will give off heat more easily than ceramic so you may want to use a heatproofing spray before you wrap them.

the whole reason for wrapping headers and exhausts is so that the heat from exhaust gas is directed away from the engine quicker and more easily giving the engine better persormance and also power...

i have a stock engine but will be stripping and modding soon, since wrapping the headers i noticed a mild increase in power and less heat in the engine bay...

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
my downpipe in a buick grand national developed pretty good rot in three years time wrapped and sprayed.. really pissed me off and since haven't used the **** and haven't had any problems with any other cars including that same one but my area sucks balls for rust

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, this is good info. Sounds like I can get away with it for a few years in my environment, we have zero rust issues here so I think I might just go for it. I'll be putting a supercharger on it in a year or so, most likely a Vortech, not sure if those create much heat, or prefer colder under hood temps though.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
It's one of those things where it takes years and depends on a few variables.. like the type of use of the car, the weather, the climate and quality of piping used because Header wrap retains moisture which promotes rust but the the internal heat the pipe is subject to is the other problem.... hell I haven't checked in years but I do remember just about every all header companies state that the use of header wrap will void their warranty but that doesn't say **** to me... me I don't use it as I live 45 minutes from the great salt air which will rust a rubber dildo in under a years time

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reason it they will void warranty isn't for rust issues its because of the heat.
They run hotter internally since the heat isn't allowed to radiate off of them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I use ceramic long tubes. There is a sale on wrap at a old but great company....Mummy Wrap Inc located in Pharoh Egypt.
:lmao

:shiftyeyes

Sir im going to have to ask you to sign this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts