Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I can haz tune?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Curious as to who here has installed headers on their GT 11+ the good old fashioned way: hand tools and jack stands in the driveway. I've installed downpipes this way before and it went ok, so I feel like I have the gumption to set aside a whole weekend and go to town with Dynatech headers, Dynatech catted x-pipe for Boss 302 (possibly offroad), and would actually like some recommends on an axleback for such a setup I want. I like LOUD but I don't want cops to hear me coming a mile away.

Is this foolhardy or would Ron Swanson approve? Who's done such a thing? I have a 3 ton SUV jack with an extension, Big Boy Jack Stands that clear 18", and 2 ton jack stands that clear about 15". Installing my shifter bracket was a breeze with this setup. Mechanics in town are shy about their lifts so no luck there.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
I've installed several sets of headers on 3 valves, none yet on a 5.0. But I can tell you the easiest way to do a 3 valve is to drop the k member. For that, you need a lift. I'm not saying its not possible the old fashioned way, just don't know what you might run into.

·
good with the steel.
244 Posts
^ i concur.

In certain installs people have to remove the motor mounts and lower/jog the motor. Its a pain

I would put a chambered muffler on that setup. Did you delete the resonators?

As far as muffler type start listening to exhaust clips.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It can be done in a weekend as long as ur patient. I did mine myself but I have a lift lol. I did however lower the car down to about the height of ur jack stands to do some of the work. I didn't have a way to hold the motor up that high once I took the motor mounts out.

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
Couldn't the op use an engine hoist to lift the front of thecar off the k-member/engine? I've seen it done by import folks.

·
Don't BAAAAH 'Til Goatsday
6,530 Posts
Couldn't the op use an engine hoist to lift the front of thecar off the k-member/engine? I've seen it done by import folks.
You don't need to go through all that.

I helped with the major part of the install. The biggest PIA is getting the passenger side off. A transmission bracket is in the way. And there are all kinds of lines in the way.

You can get to 2 of the bolts in the engine bay. Maybe all 4 didn't try it. Took about 2 hours to get the diver side off but about 5 to get the passenger side off.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I installed the Stainless Works headers on my car. Unless I have a lift I will never do them again, I'd recommend dropping the K-member. Also I hate wearing gloves so my hands looked like I punched concrete a few times afterwards. I swear ford did not make it easy for us to install headers on this car.

·
I can haz tune?
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's all very encouraging. Sigh. I previewed the Dynatech instructions, and they warned me about the steering shaft, and the motor mounts. I've had to jack up engines before to swap out motor mounts, so that bit doesn't freak me out too bad. I agree with Black 5.0 that it's an all weekend affair, starting the prep work Friday night of jacking it up and taking off as much as you can to access the bolts, getting a good night's rest, and then going through a really intense Saturday, and if needed, Sunday as well. Since I don't have much of a choice, maybe this will be my first big "look what I installed" thread with pics and tips. I find I'm very helpful posting about how NOT to do things once they're completed.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Good luck man. My dad ran into a guy in town who has done 8 of them so far, he said he is getting pretty good and can do them in 6-8 hours. He charges a grand in labor alone, IIRC.

It sounds like its a bitch, I want long tubes but not that bad lol.

·
Registered
500 Posts
It was my first set of headers to put on a modern car. Just take your time as stated before. I think I did mine in like 13 hours or something like that by myself so it's not real bad

·
Registered
9 Posts
I haven't conquered the task yet. But I put it up on my lift the other day and looked it over when I installed my Stainless Works Exhaust. Looks pretty simple with the right tools. I know you said driveway but thats where I'm getting at.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts