Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fired up the car last night after putting a 750 holley dp on her.. and after a couple of minutes the headers were glowing red... the fuel pressure is 8.5 psi, its a 351w, D00E heads, Offy 360 intake, crane fireball 2 cam, hei conversion, ... whats the deal? vaccum leak?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Usually glowing headers are an indication of running rich. Unburnt fuel is igniting in the primary tubes causing them to get too hot.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Let me revise that, its retarded timing that couses the unburnt fuel in the primaries to ignite. and yes, extreme lean conditions can do it too.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Ok one more time... I've been reading up on this one.. Glowing at idle can mean rich, because of what I've stated before, meaning, retarded timing.. Glowing while under load, means lean.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had this happen to me two weeks ago and once I advanced the timing 14-15* the headers no longer got red, my 2cents

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Timing....timing....timing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
theres no cats on the car, bbk shortys, h-pipe- 40 series dumps,
its glowing red at idle, we checked the fuel pressure before and it was 12 psi.. so we turned it down to 8.5 psi.. but still glowing red. next is timing.. thanks guys ill keep ya posted.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Thats definately a timing issue. I would even say bring your fuel pressure down to 7.5psi (atleast thats where most carb manufactures reccomend it to be).

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
you should just leave it.......that just means the engine is crazy mean

·
Registered
301 Posts
lmao...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts