Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a good deal on a 01 svt cobra, the first thing i want to do is put some headers on. Was the installation a pain or was it a simple process? My car right now is mainly stock and just has a borla catback. I'm not gonna go to crazy with mods I just want a meaner, louder sound. Does anything have to be modded on the car to make headers fit? or is it an easy install?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
so far every time ive done the tranny the left one is easy the right one, i cant get to the top bolt on the pass. of the firewall

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
My headers where a PITA. had to unbolt the motor and raise it up to get em in. Just an FYI before you do the headers, on a stock 4v the headers should be one of the last things you do. You can get a meaner sound with a better mid pipe (MAC prochamber IMO) and if you do headers you have to get a different mid pipe anyway. Thats quite a bit of money for not alot of power and not much difference in sound from just a good mid pipe swap. Dollar for dollar you will get more power out of other bolt ons on a stock motor than you will headers. But if your dead set on them then get a good extra pair of hands to help cuz it's pretty tough to get the passenger side one on.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Cold air,mass air, mid pipe,tuner,UDP's, are the good one's to start with and are good power adders.

·
MM's Orangest
2,885 Posts
As long as it is not the shorty midpipe it will hook up to the stock headers. If you do plan on getting long tube headers in the future though it won't fit on those.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, i still want to swap the whole exhaust for my first mod. Does the check engine light come on when you change the exhaust on these cars?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
headers give a decent gain, but it can be expensive. its not that bad to do if you have done modular headers before, but can be very time consuming if you havent.

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
Yeah, i still want to swap the whole exhaust for my first mod. Does the check engine light come on when you change the exhaust on these cars?
Depends on your mid pipe. If you get an O/R mid pipe with no cats then yes it will come on unless you turn them off with a tuner (another reason a tuner is nice to have) but if you get a mid pipe with cats then it won't. you will also need 02 sensor extensions for the front 02 sensors when you put long tube headers on.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow I can just use a tuner to get rid of the check engine light? Thats pretty cool. If I get a tuner I can probably just get the O/R mid pipe and save a good $250 and still pass an inspection. I was going to purchase a tuner in the future but now I might get one sooner. I think I'll get the diablo tuner off American muscle. Thanks a lot for the help :D

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
youll fail inspection if you just turn of the cel with a tuner

·
N/A 4v Guru
3,484 Posts
youll fail inspection if you just turn of the cel with a tuner
Yep if they use the sniffer or visual then you will still fail. I would go with a high flow cat setup if you need to pass inspection

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright I'll see. Would a magnapack catback hook right up to a bbk midpipe?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
exhaust parts for these cars are made to fit in stock locations at stock flange locations as well.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I have done the instal several times myself, having a hoist, and makes it easy for me. I don't much mind them. The first time I did it I had the car on blocks, and I pulled the engine off the mounts to finagle them in. The second time I just installed thme on my engine when I was putting it back in. The only problem I had was that I have big hands and arms sO I had to have my buddy tighten everything down.

Also, I reccomend a Mac Pro Chamber with Mac Cat back, or SLP Loudmouth 2. Both wil get an aggressive sound.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts