Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few questions about headers for my 3.9L v6
1. Whats the difference in Power/ Fuel Economy?
2. Would this be something I could just bolt on without having my exhaust redone?
3. How long would the install take?
4. Would I have to remove my cats?
5. Where would be the best place to get them?

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you tell any difference in sound or performance I have a crack in my old heads and I can either spend $75 again to have them welded up or just pay for new headers and not have to worry about it for a while

·
Registered
730 Posts
Can you tell any difference in sound or performance I have a crack in my old heads and I can either spend $75 again to have them welded up or just pay for new headers and not have to worry about it for a while
same here, cracked manifold... im going to go with longtubes for the performance (might as well squeeze ever bit out of this sixx)

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
There will be almost no difference in sound or performance from shorty headers. General rule of thumb with our cars is long tubes or stock manifolds.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the is no way to install long tubes and keep your cats?

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
You can HAVE cats, but they will most likely be aftermarket high flows. Unless you get them to weld in your stock cats.
The precats will be gone, period, though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like I would be better of with the shorties if they just bolt on the long tubes cost more and I would have to pay someone else to work on my car lol

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Skip the shorty headers and just pick yourself up a new set of OEM manifolds if you don't want to go the LT route. I'm pretty sure you can pick up OEM manifolds for $75-100 each or else you're going to pay $300-400 for shorty headers that are going to do almost the exact same thing.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
yeah, dont bother wasting your money on shorties

·
Registered
662 Posts
+1 you might as well go longtubes. shorties are basically the same as the stock manifolds minus the 250 dollar difference. LT's you can pick up for as low as 200 brand new (pacesetters) but i would recommend gettings MAC

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can get shorties on AM for $279 plus the forum discount so I figured that would be about the same as ordering new OEM ones or I can get the shop to weld up the other side for $75, but I don't know how long the welds would last. Also if I went with shorties they would be shiny and chrome instead of the dull gray color of the oem ones. Emissions isn't really a problem because we don't have emissions tests in Virginia I would rather keep my car legal though.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I were to get long tubes what all would I have to get and where is the best place to order them?

·
Registered
730 Posts
If I were to get long tubes what all would I have to get and where is the best place to order them?
you can get pacesetter's off of jegs, summit, and late model restorations

and you can get mac longtubes off of stangmods.com

and i think all you have to get are O2 extensions

·
Registered
730 Posts
point is, there is no point in buying 200-300$ shorty headers ... probably cheaper to buy shiney paint and paint your stock ones and put a BBK sticker on it ... wouldnt be any different ...

either buy LT's or leave it alone ...
yeah i second that

unless its SLAMMMED but im gonna guess its not so no worries

1 - 20 of 30 Posts