Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get why headers are so special everyone seems to say that headers are crucial in some of the first performance upgrades why is that what do headers do?
Thanks,
Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I don't get why headers are so special everyone seems to say that headers are crucial in some of the first performance upgrades why is that what do headers do?
Thanks,
Thomas
they free up some power but they aren't crucial & are actually one of the last mods these cars need as the factory manifolds work very well.

do they help? shure.

are they worth the cost for the average new edge car? not hardly.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
headers help by increasing scavaging, simply put the long runners and collecter desighn creates a vacume that draws exhaust out of the head and pulling fresh air and fuel into the cylander. im not a fan of doing long tube headers on a stock car. the price with the gain is really kind of minimal. unless you plan on running a high hp na car the stock manifolds will support plenty of power with a power adder.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
not in our cars should be one of the last bolt ons u do

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for all the help guys so another question I'm at the moment building myself a 5.4L so would long tubes be helpful on that I'm going to get the HPS intake manifold
Thanks,
Thomas

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Ok thanks for all the help guys so another question I'm at the moment building myself a 5.4L so would long tubes be helpful on that I'm going to get the HPS intake manifold
Thanks,
Thomas
since they are pretty much custom & very expensive for a 5.4 swapped new edge car, there even less desireable.

for a 5.4 swap stick with the factory 4.6 manifolds or 4.6 FRPP shorties.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
not really needed till you see more hp...hell 03-04 Cobra's dont even see much gain.

I plan on making 430rwhp - 700rwhp with stock manifolds

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much hp and tq do you guys think I can make with my 5.4L I'm using trick flow heads and Manley pistons and rods lightning crank

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
the rods and crank wont make more power...the pistons might if you bump up the CR.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
why so worried about numbers?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i know the 5.4 is a way better base to use the tfs heads on. using a flat top piston with a balanced rating assembly with forged/billet rods and forged pistons with 38cc tfs heads, and a hps intake manifold is a real nice na setup

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
wont will you races...but they are cool to see no doubt.

I haven't seen a lot of 5.4 tfs head cars on here...google it and you may find similiar builds

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
mmr did a similar build and posted it on corral back in the day. they ran the eddie intake with adapter plates. the motor was around 12-1 cr. i was kind of sad they never got to post up results cause it shipped to the owner once they were done. i imagine that thing with custom fab long tubes and some spray would have put down really nice numbers and beasted down the track. the goal was to make 470-500 hp on race gas na no spray.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
So if you were going to get headers, Would it be better to just get shorties instead of the paying the extra cost and hassle of LTs?

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
not dont worry about shorties either.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
My LT headers gave me almost 15rwhp/20tq I shaved a few tenths off my et slip and picked up 4mph in my trap speed.... Thats pretty much worth it for me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts