Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

So let me show my ignorance. I've ran into a local guy who can tune a car like nobody's business. Anyway, he's got a set of Headers that he's willing to sell and install on my Stage 3 for $1500.00.

Is this a good deal and am I going to notice any difference without a new tune or is this worth my time to do it? What's the positives to headers on the S197 car?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It depends on which headers your talking about. Shortys can run just a few hundred dollars and can sometimes reuse the rest of your exhaust system. Longtubes can go for over a thousand and will require a new catted or off road crossover and may need to have the rest of the piping changed as well. Figure $500-600 for installation and that leaves the headers, crossover (catted or not), gaskets, midpipes and possibly O2 sensor extenions (required for most or all longtubes) at $900-1000. I haven't gotten headers on mine yet, supposed to do it this weekend, so as far as retuning goes, this is just what I've gathered from reading the boards and talking to people. If you're not in an area that requires emissions testing then O2 sensors can be eliminated or turned off, which may actually require retuning or you'll get error codes. Retuning isn't neccesary but you'll definitely want to if you want to see the most from a set of longtubes. Anyway, someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in here shortly I'm sure, but I felt like yacking a little this morning, so I figured I'd try to give you an answer.:)

PS: you'll most likely want 1 5/8 inch if you're N/A and 1 3/4 inch tubes if you've got a S/C, turbo or possibly nitrous.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Pastor, if they are Kooks or ARH's then it's a pretty good deal all things considered. Both are direct bolt in with no changes to the piping rearward of the X pipe.

Here's the break down on a Long tube install for a pair of Kooks.

Header cost: 1000.00 - 1300.00 with catted X.
Labor book time: 6-8 hrs. @ a low end 50.00 an hour, high end 90.00

Like I said if your getting any of the above equipment, your gettin a decent deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts