Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be heading to the track for the first time next month. Never been down a strip. All I have is catback and short throw. Got a few questions

1) Should i air down my tires? I have the stock 8inch wheels with some all season directional tires (not sure what brand).

2) What rpm should i launch at? I was thinking around 2000 since I'm a manual?

Ok..;. that's it i think :D

What do you think I'll run? I'm hoping under 14.5

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Being your first time out and with your mods, I'm saying 14.6 @ 98mph.

As far as tire pressure with all-seasons, nothing below 20psi. Below that you lose the stability of the tire and might actually spin more and run slower.

As for launching, I think anything over 2500rpm, you're probably going to spin. Launch it enough to keep it from bogging but don't go WOT and break the tires loose. You just have to practice and see what works best.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being your first time out and with your mods, I'm saying 14.6 @ 98mph.

As far as tire pressure with all-seasons, nothing below 20psi. Below that you lose the stability of the tire and might actually spin more and run slower.

As for launching, I think anything over 2500rpm, you're probably going to spin. Launch it enough to keep it from bogging but don't go WOT and break the tires loose. You just have to practice and see what works best.
14.6 works. I just want to prove all the guys wrong at work that say i'm gonna run a mid 15 :mad:

so about 25 psi is about where i want it, and a 2,100 or 2,200 launch and ease into WOT so i dont spin? I'll definately need some practice but i think i can git r dun.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
you aint runnin no f'n 15 anything lol, so tell your coworkers/buddys their f'n idiots I just posted a thread on my time it was my first time with the stang at the track as well. check my profile. I went to the track this weekend and ran a 14.4 in my 01 gt with a shitty launch, shitty sumitomo tires, and traction control on, oh yeah and the main part Its an automatic. my mods are in sig. You can hit prolly better than me since you have a manual with some practice.

·
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you aint runnin no f'n 15 anything lol, so tell your coworkers/buddys their f'n idiots I just posted a thread on my time it was my first time with the stang at the track as well. check my profile. I went to the track this weekend and ran a 14.4 in my 01 gt with a shitty launch, shitty sumitomo tires, and traction control on, oh yeah and the main part Its an automatic. my mods are in sig. You can hit prolly better than me since you have a manual with some practice.
yeah... i've been telling them im not going into the 15's.. but they drive camero's so they know everything... right? :cool:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Practice makes perfect!!!

Just remember to be persistent and youll get faster n faster after ur 1st time!!!!!

N like dale said>>>>>>>>> spinnin ain't winnin!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going for the first time on a 1/4 mile track on Saturday as well. I have heard that I shouldn't do a burnout since I have street tires. Why is that? Any other opinions?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I'm going for the first time on a 1/4 mile track on Saturday as well. I have heard that I shouldn't do a burnout since I have street tires. Why is that? Any other opinions?
Street tire's compond is not for racing so when they get hot they don't always lose performance it sometimes means it does not offer any gains, some tires do like heat, mine do but not enough to gain the grip of DR. Street tired cars commonly pull a 1.8-2.5 60 foot. My best is a constant 1.9 and I did not expect better.

My first trip down the track gave me a 2.4 60' on the stock tires by the end of the night I was down to 2.1 and shaved .4 on my et's. I ran mostly 14.1 until I changed the intake and tune. Auto

The trick to street tired launch on an auto is to hold the car until the tires let go and then back off just under that rpm then stage the lights.

The trick to launching off the clutch is to slip the clutch at 2500-3000 rpms before jamming the go peddle. Knowing your tires over time you will start making changes that best suit you and the track.

Good luck, as a street tired class competitor the fun is unbelievable as long as you understand and accept the tires limits. Yeah DRs shave time on the et but the skill or lack of it is more pronounced on streets.:D

Yeah, DR's will let the car express it's potential and has it's own list of good points.:D

Have a good time and dont get down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am still learning as well but here is the best advice I have been given thus far.

Remember, your 60' is what you want to focus on, not your reaction time. By not focusing on your reaction time (RT for short) you are less likely to spin the tires off the line.

I highly recommend starting off with rolling out like you were pulling out of a traffic light with a cop behind you. After you do that a few times you can pick up the pace a little to find your optimum launch. Eventually you will find the sweet spot but it won't stay that way due to variables like weather, and quality of track prep. That is why "rolling out" is a good way to gauge the track and your car.

Launching is an art form specific to your car and setup so there is no magic formula that will give you instant "best" results. Pay attention to your car and be consistent and you will get results.

Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
594 Posts
You'll get a mid 14 second run by the end of the night, i'm sure of that! It also depends a lot on how prepped the track is, a well prepped track is the difference between 2.2 60' times and 1.9' 60' times in my opinion. My first time at the track I ran anywhere from 14.5's with 2.2 60's to low 15s when i'd spin all the way into 3rd.. :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts