Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the spray tint and i have seen what it looks like if the right person does not apply it so what about vinyl tint instead? I know a professional who could put that on for sure but any pros and cons to it?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
light output will be dramatically reduced if the tint is applied to the headlights. personally ive seen stock lights tinted and they look very clean/unique

·
Registered
164 Posts
vinly tint will tend to peel from what I've heard. It usually better in the long run to just spray on or pay to have it done. I did mine with some of the duplicolor spray tint and it came out fine. The key is in cleaning the lenses and making sure you do a few light even coats until you have the darkness you want

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
wet sand, apply VHT, clear coat, Wet sand, buff. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
i disagree. 99% of the cars i see around here with vht jobs that arent professionally shot (usually using clear/black mix sprayed) tend to look horrendous. its extremely rare that i see an at-home vht job that i think looks acceptable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Clear/black mix sprayed will always look terrible. The clear added to black does not make it into a transparent black. The VHT stuff is OK is you properly prep and know how to use a spray can (some people just cant seem to use them) Lights coats are key, as they can get dark very quickly.
As a disclaimer, I have used the VHT, but I have NOT actually used it on car lenses. Are you doing the taillights? I've only used the spray stuff on projects where it would be sprayed on the INSIDE of the part, so I'm not sure how it would turn out sprayed on the outside

·
Zippy's Resident Milf
5,592 Posts

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts

I tinted the top taillight. Looks amazing. Just gotta know what your doing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had my heads and tails tinted with vinyl. Heads have HID's and the tint HARDLEY makes a difference. Tails - same thing. PLUS, I live in South Florida. Still doesn't look bad.

I had my tail lights SPRAY tinted with VHT on my eclipse (*cringe* Yes, I used to be an import girl.) and I see the car now with the new owner and it looks like complete **** - all faded. It looked great at first./ Now? Not so much a year or so later.

·
Registered
354 Posts
PS: I know it's a '00, but I had to add my two cents :)

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
I had my heads and tails tinted with vinyl. Heads have HID's and the tint HARDLEY makes a difference. Tails - same thing. PLUS, I live in South Florida. Still doesn't look bad.

I had my tail lights SPRAY tinted with VHT on my eclipse (*cringe* Yes, I used to be an import girl.) and I see the car now with the new owner and it looks like complete **** - all faded. It looked great at first./ Now? Not so much a year or so later.
Buff it out and it'll stay on for a long ass time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
plus a good clear coat can make a world of difference. I didn't clear mine but they're holding fine after 3 years so I'm just going to leave them until if becomes an issue. If you were closer OP I'd just offer to help you with it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts