Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forums here, i have a 98 mustang gt, and im having problems with the headlights. If i pull the switch all the way out the headlights come on but the gauges go out, and if i push it in a little bit the gauges come on and the headlights go out though. I have to play with it for a while to get em both to come on, and every so often if i hit a big bump they will go out again. Any idea where im getting a bad connection? just put in a new headlight switch and it helped a little bit but its gotten worse again. any ideaS?

·
Registered
812 Posts
First off, welcome. I think it is a bad connection, putting a new headlight switch in should do the trick

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
It sounds to me like a loose connection.

If you already replaced the switch, I would check out the connector itself. Sometimes they develop problems. Check the wiring going into the connector as well. Make sure it is in there firmly and not loose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright well i got it to work now, the connections in the back of the connectors where loose and popped out. I put em in tight and made sure they stayed, so now the lights and tail lights work when i pull out the switch. But now the instrument cluster gauges wont light up, it keeps poppin the fuse. If i put a new fuse in, pull the switch out, the fuse will pop. Wheres the illumination wire for the gauges? does anyone know. i was thinking it might be running into the stereo.

·
Registered
450 Posts
mine does this too. i just wiggle the headlight knob and the gauges come on

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
alright well i got it to work now, the connections in the back of the connectors where loose and popped out. I put em in tight and made sure they stayed, so now the lights and tail lights work when i pull out the switch. But now the instrument cluster gauges wont light up, it keeps poppin the fuse. If i put a new fuse in, pull the switch out, the fuse will pop. Wheres the illumination wire for the gauges? does anyone know. i was thinking it might be running into the stereo.
Just pull your cluster out and follow it by sight. Check for a loose ground.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had the same problem when I was installing fog lights in my 98 v6. I rigged it up so that It has the switch and everything, like you v8's. Regardless, after installing the switch witch was wired incorrectly at first, it popped a fuse. So when I would pull the headlight nob out my gauge lights would go out. All I did was bust out my owners manual. Check ALL FUSES!!!! As it turned out for mine it was an under the hood fuse. I cant remember off the top of my head but im pretty sure it was a 15amp fuse under the hood. At least for me. During the whole install I probably popped 3 fuses. If its not a fuse then your looking at a crossed wire...or check your relay's which are under the hood as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts