Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some headlights have a black cup in front of the bulb? The reason I ask is my passenger side is starting to flake off. I have a set of PIAA bulbs but I wouldn't think that would cause it. Do you!

·
Registered
662 Posts
It's a defect from Ford. I had both my headlights replaced by the Stealer for the same reason and so did my neighbor and a bunch of other people I know. They tried to blame it on the Silverstars I had in them but we all know thas a crock oif ****. Make sure you put the stock bulbs back in to avoid all the bullshit if you take it to get looked at.................:rolleyes:

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
There was a slight housing difference in the upper part of the reflector surface on the lamps that don't have the black cap. In the headlamps that have the black cap, the cap was there to push more light to the reflector.

A lot of people just remove the black piece with a pair of needle nose pliers, after removing the headlamps of course.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Sure you can, take the headlamp off, remove the bulb and bulb nut, slide in the needle nose, press forward and up and the cover piece will come loose. Carefully tip it to not let the black piece scratch as you get the part to migrate toward the opening. Again use need nose to grab it and remove from housing.

Must be creative with your angle on the removal. It absolutely comes out without a complete housing disassembly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yeah, you would think Ford would have designed that removal to be a little less involved... LOL :D

I mean damn, in most GM's you pull some lock tabs, and the entire headlamp can be removed...1 minute or less...then again, not a big need to remove the entire lamp assembly just the bulb.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Emay, with the cup removed is there a significant difference with the brightness of the headlight and the light pattern? I have HID's like you and my high beams suck...............

·
Golf Pencil Kawk Juggler
2,421 Posts
Where did you get your HIDS blue?
Im curious because I got mine from VVME.Com and the high beams rock

·
Registered
662 Posts
Where did you get your HIDS blue?
Im curious because I got mine from VVME.Com and the high beams rock
I got them from VVME.com. I can hunt squirrels with the damn things on high beams, low's are great..............

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
I would also say the highs are poor as well. My lamps came without the tab covers.

The others that had them where I removed them, didn't seem much better. They were not hid applications though..

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would also say the highs are poor as well. My lamps came without the tab covers.

The others that had them where I removed them, didn't seem much better. They were not hid applications though..
Yea that's what I thought, thanks Erin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts