Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've lost all power to my passenger side headlight so I'm thinking of just completely rewiring both headlights. Anyone know of a writeup or at least give me some basic ideas of the best way to do it. I'd like to retain the stock switch but that isn't completely necessary.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just run 2 jumper wires from the good low beam wire and high beam wire. Maybe even put them in some wire loom and make em look factoryish :) Either that or order some HIDs and they normally come with a little harness that you can plug into 1 bulb socket and it will power both headlights.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Passenger side headlight wires come harness that goes from under the Passenger side kick panel. Its just a simple 12V power source and then the ground is right near the light.

I have rewired mine, as I no longer have any harnesses in my car front of the drivers seat... Its not terrible. You can also just use the power source from the drivers side and take the power from there.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got it jumped over from the drivers side now but I get major light dimming when the subs on the mach 1000 system hit. Didn't have that before. Is that from the jump, or is that from using a wire that is possibly too small for the jump?

Edit: I was thinking of using some sort of relay on the driver side that and then running all new power wiring right off the battery. In theory, the relay would switch closed when I turn the headlights on from the drivers seat and then both headlights would be running directly off the battery. Does this sound like it would work? In my head it makes sense, but I have no idea how to actually wire it to work like that.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
I've got it jumped over from the drivers side now but I get major light dimming when the subs on the mach 1000 system hit. Didn't have that before. Is that from the jump, or is that from using a wire that is possibly too small for the jump?

Edit: I was thinking of using some sort of relay on the driver side that and then running all new power wiring right off the battery. In theory, the relay would switch closed when I turn the headlights on from the drivers seat and then both headlights would be running directly off the battery. Does this sound like it would work? In my head it makes sense, but I have no idea how to actually wire it to work like that.
Yes doing a relay setup will work too... Youll need 2 to make the high beams to work too.

What you will want to do is... Take a normal automotive relay.

Take the 12vs from the drivers side and Put it to the 86 part. 85 Will be a ground. On 87 put that to a nother 12V power source (I would do direct battery). Then on the 30 post take that to the passenger side headlight wire.

Make sure you cut the wires from the harness on the passenger side so you dont create a back feed where there isnt a diode and youll be set.

Let me know if you don't understand.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
Also make sure you use thick enough wire for the 12V positive and the wiring to the passenger side head lamp. 16 gauge should be plenty.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
You can pull a positive trigger from either the functioning headlight, or directly from the headlight switch. Use a 40A relay with 25A fuse inline with the power input wire:

30: Battery (+)
85: Ground (-)
86: Headlight +12V trigger
87: Output to bulbs (+)

Run 2 wires from pin 86, one to each headlight. Same with grounds, you can splice all 3 ground wires together (headlight left, right, relay ground) and run to a chassis ground as long as it's done with 16 awg wire or larger. I forget which wire the headlight trigger is, but I can look on my car if you're not able to find any info. If you want to pull the trigger signal directly from the headlight switch, it's the big gray wire in the center of the headlight switch assembly. This is a fairly simple mod and shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes. Feel free to give me a holler if you need help.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
That's is exactly the info I was looking for. Reps for you all when I'm on my computer.

EDIT: Sorry Asian, says I have to spread it first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts