Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put some headlight covers on to see how I liked the tinted look and I want to have them permamently tinted. I am thinking I may have them sprayed at a body shop, clear with some black mixed in.

I was also thinking about just having them tinted at a tint shop, but Im worried about how it will hold up on the headlights, with bugs and road debris.

Or I could just do nite-shades, but Ive never done it before and dont want it to look half assed.

Any suggestions? If I go to a tint shop, what % should I go with? I dont drive a lot at night and I want it pretty dark to give it the blacked out look Im going for.

Thanks guys

Here is a few pics of how it looks with the covers on...That is about the shade I am looking for:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
why don't you just use the covers?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why don't you just use the covers?
In the last pic you can see where the cover ends...they look pretty good, but they are not perfect. I take this car to shows a lot and I just dont like for things to look like they were cheaply done. I like the covers for day to day use, but I am just looking for something more permanent I guess.

Plus the covers get dirt and stuff behind them and you have to take them off and clean the light and cover every time you wash the car...which I do at least 3 times a week.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
i would just do the VHT. i tinted my tails myself and they turned out great. i used 4 coats of VHT and 5 coats of clear, wetsand with 2000 grit and buff the hell out of them. i plan to do my headlights when im getting the paint chip on my hood fixed. oh, and my tails are about the same darkness that youre lookin for.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
You have to be careful with vht though. Its almost impossible to get them to look perfect. Usually they get a hazy look. I would just have tint put on them. Take it to a shop with the covers on, and tell them thats exactly what you want it to look like. They should know what tint will look closest to the covers.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In the last pic you can see where the cover ends...they look pretty good, but they are not perfect. I take this car to shows a lot and I just dont like for things to look like they were cheaply done. I like the covers for day to day use, but I am just looking for something more permanent I guess.

Plus the covers get dirt and stuff behind them and you have to take them off and clean the light and cover every time you wash the car...which I do at least 3 times a week.
I understand completely. lol i would just VHT them if it were my car...but considering its a termi and you take it to shows, and such, i would prob get it done proffesionally if i were you. I'm sure that cobra weren't to cheap so why cheap out on modding it. just my .02 cents

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to be careful with vht though. Its almost impossible to get them to look perfect. Usually they get a hazy look. I would just have tint put on them. Take it to a shop with the covers on, and tell them thats exactly what you want it to look like. They should know what tint will look closest to the covers.
Thats probably what I'll do. I need to get the windows tinted anyways, Ive just been putting it off because of the great weather...I dont want to have to ride around with the windows up for 3 days!

I understand completely. lol i would just VHT them if it were my car...but considering its a termi and you take it to shows, and such, i would prob get it done proffesionally if i were you. I'm sure that cobra weren't to cheap so why cheap out on modding it. just my .02 cents
Exactly...I did most of the mods on my GT myself and they looked really good, but still not show quality. I want everything to be done perfect on this car.;)

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
Your best option (IMO) is going to be taking them to a shop and spraying them w/ clear and black mixed. Have them use quality paint and it'll be perfect.

The second option for me would be to VHT them. I did this to my tails and there wasn't a flaw on them. The process was time consuming, but came out great. Sand tails, apply VHT, sand, clear, sand, buff. Take your time and they can look perfect.

My last option would be tint. It's just my personal opinion, but I don't like it. Even if you apply the tint 100% correct, it's eventually going to get weathered.

·
MM Gaming Guru
5,692 Posts
Not to hijack, but if you decide to sell the covers relatively cheaply, gimme a holler, I've considered trying them myself

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just had the tails done by my tint shop...for now Im going to keep the covers on. They are starting to grow on me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts