Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any adhesion that holds the headliner in or does the shape and trim pieces basically hold it? Anybody make a replacement backer board for it that doesn't cost a small fortune?

·
Down for the count
2,018 Posts
Is there any adhesion that holds the headliner in or does the shape and trim pieces basically hold it? Anybody make a replacement backer board for it that doesn't cost a small fortune?
Yes there is adhesion-type stuff on the back. Almost like a kind of putty. If you are very gently, and go slow, you can separate the headliner from the roof with it still in tact.

You will never get the fabric separated from cardboard back, though. I bought a headliner out of a wreck that was in perfect shape for $25. Not too bad to swap out, really.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can get the headliner fabric at some stores that specialize in in auto body and interior repair parts.

The fabric has a foam backing that does NOT come with an adhesive coating.

Use 3M contact cement that is in the spray can for an adhesive.

Make sure you remove the headliner board before you try to replace the headliner though or you will end up with a big mess.

Once you remove the cardboard headliner backing you have to clean all the old foam off of it that was once on the back of the old fabric.

Best way to do that is to use an electric drill with a miniature wire wheel. The wire wheel takes the old foam backing off and wont hurt the cardboard.

some tips though are; spray both the backside of the fabric and the headliner cardboard with adhesive, when you place the fabric on the cardboard liner start from the center and work your way out, and work FAST once you have sprayed the parts with the adhesive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do I get the glue stuff that holds the headliner to roof? It's not sagging but I'm going to replace it cause its got a hole in it. I've done several so it's no problem to replace the fabric I'm just unsure on what too use to adhere it back to the roof panel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
3M Brand spray adhesive. You can usually find it in auto part stores or try a shop that supply's auto interior restoration shops.

·
Down for the count
2,018 Posts
Where do I get the glue stuff that holds the headliner to roof? It's not sagging but I'm going to replace it cause its got a hole in it. I've done several so it's no problem to replace the fabric I'm just unsure on what too use to adhere it back to the roof panel.
I don't know if spray adhesive will do it. It is more of a puddy from the factory. I used silicon to re-attach mine to the roof, and it works great 8 months later. Just use something to press the headliner to the roof while the silicon dries. I used an upside down swiffer to hold mine up, lol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I don't know if spray adhesive will do it. It is more of a puddy from the factory. I used silicon to re-attach mine to the roof, and it works great 8 months later. Just use something to press the headliner to the roof while the silicon dries. I used an upside down swiffer to hold mine up, lol.
It's NOT putty. What you think is putty is actually the foam that is on the back of the fabric. As the fabric and foam separate the foam stays on the cardboard and it might look like a putty at that point but it's not. It's just deteriorated foam backing. It's also not an adhesive of any kind. The adhesive is actually just a spray type of contact cement.

I used to replace headliners years ago.

·
Down for the count
2,018 Posts
It's NOT putty. What you think is putty is actually the foam that is on the back of the fabric. As the fabric and foam separate the foam stays on the cardboard and it might look like a putty at that point but it's not. It's just deteriorated foam backing. It's also not an adhesive of any kind. The adhesive is actually just a spray type of contact cement.

I used to replace headliners years ago.
I think we are talking about two separate things, man.

I am talking about what goes on the back of the cardboard to the sheet metal roof. Not what is inside the fabric/foam/cardboard layer. I respect your opinion, but late last year I pulled my head liner, cardboard backing and all, out and removed a puddy or slightly tacky glue substance on the back. I then drove to a junk yard and removed the head liner from an identical mustang, which was also attached in a similar manner.

Again, I think op is wanting to remove the fabric/foam/cardboard as one piece. That is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think we are talking about two separate things, man.

I am talking about what goes on the back of the cardboard to the sheet metal roof. Not what is inside the fabric/foam/cardboard layer. I respect your opinion, but late last year I pulled my head liner, cardboard backing and all, out and removed a puddy or slightly tacky glue substance on the back. I then drove to a junk yard and removed the head liner from an identical mustang, which was also attached in a similar manner.

Again, I think op is wanting to remove the fabric/foam/cardboard as one piece. That is what I was referring to.

Nope Im talking about the putty stuff aswell, Ive never seen it before and wander if thats what holds it to the roof. No big deal to replace fabric as Ive done probally 50 foxbodies.

·
Mustang Enthusiast
218 Posts
So you want to "glue" the headliner to the metal roof? Why not try velcro? I've seen it on a few GM vans my dad had fixed. Don't know how it can be attached on both ends, maybe rubber cement :dunno

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So you want to "glue" the headliner to the metal roof? Why not try velcro? I've seen it on a few GM vans my dad had fixed. Don't know how it can be attached on both ends, maybe rubber cement :dunno

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Yes theres a factory putty that holds it up and mine has dried up causing the whole headliner to drop at the back glass. Ive tried liquid nail,gorilla glue, and have yet to find anything but Ill try velcro and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts