Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 GT (Stage2 roush #4682) and I just started to get a pretty bad click/knock from what I assume is the valves and it started to miss (sputter) a bit as well. Not real sure which way to go to repair, replace the whole valve train or just bite the bullet and buy new heads, just looking for some advice. The real question I have is will 02 heads from a Lightning 5.4 (2V) fit on my 2V 4.6? I have a set sitting in my garage that are perfectly fine and would love to swap them out if possible. Any advice/suggestions would be welcomed. I would be happy to give a list of mods to the vehicle if needed, but as far as the engine (internals) is concerened, its pretty much stock.

Thanks guys and I look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response...Yes I pulled the valve covers and all of the rockers seem to be in tight and nothing else seems loose. Something that I forgot to put in the original post that might be important...just before all of this happened, the spark plug on the cylinder (#4) in question was physically fouled, I mean it looked like someone took a hammer to the end of it and of course it would not fire any more. I changed all of the plugs and it seemd to be working fine for a few days.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Sounds like that cylinder ran mightly lean and it got mega hot in there. Was that plug still tight in the cylinder before you took it out? Even if you threw a rod, which I doubt - the piston could not physically contact the spark plug - its impossible. It would contact the valves and and bottom of the actual head before it could ever make contact with the plug.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I had to do new top end twice because these sh1tty windsor heads dont like to keep spark plugs in em.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
lol...i missed 4th went into 2nd, destroyed valve and everything on that side

·
Registered
922 Posts
At least you earned yours, LOL. I was just cruisin along home from work both times!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plug in that cylinder cam right out, it was as hard to get out as all of the rest of them. When you say I might have thrown a rod...are you talking about a valve or a piston rod?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for the quick response...Yes I pulled the valve covers and all of the rockers seem to be in tight and nothing else seems loose. Something that I forgot to put in the original post that might be important...just before all of this happened, the spark plug on the cylinder (#4) in question was physically fouled, I mean it looked like someone took a hammer to the end of it and of course it would not fire any more. I changed all of the plugs and it seemd to be working fine for a few days.
sounds like detonation to me?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I put the granatelli pro COP's on her and I broke onle of the ears on one so that could be the problem? I still have the stock COP's and I'm gonna put them back on and see if that makes a difference. Thanks

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
i really dont think it is a rod
THe more i think about it, i dont think its just a rod.

The guy pulled the covers. Said nothing looked out of place, but even if it was valve float, he wouldnt have a Noise that I know of. I think possibly the cylinder got to hot, and he warped his cam journal, and lost oil pressure in that cam journal. That would allow the bottom bearing corrisponding to that journal to go out.

I think it could be both.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I think it just went lean and detonation murdered that plug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What would cause it to still sputter, it really only does it when I'm cruising...under heacy accelaration it seems fine, just clicks really loud, the clicking will go away when I come off of the throttle??

·
Registered
922 Posts
What would cause it to still sputter, it really only does it when I'm cruising...under heacy accelaration it seems fine, just clicks really loud, the clicking will go away when I come off of the throttle??

Sounds like it could be detonation you are describing.......What octaine are you running? Maybe you got some bad gas? Did your car sit for an extended period without running?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've got a diablo predator tuner so I run 93 octane, no it has not been sitting at all. Tonight I'm going to put the stock COP's back on and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I put the stock coils back on...still the same spitting and sputtering with an audible clicking/knocking. again under acceleration the sputtering stops, but the clicking will continue. around 2500 to 4000 rpm the clicking will almost stop. any advice??? suggestions???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, now I really did it...replaced the COP's found another spark plug on #1 cylender that was smashed, replaced it. Car was running ALOT better, still had a slight audible knock. Yesterday when driving home, I felt another plug pop, loss of power but still running ok, the knock got substantially louder. All of the sudden I lost all oil pressure and before I could pull over (i was on the interstate) the car died smoke and steam going everywhere. I guess that either a rod went or the head gasket (again) any suggestions??? Thanks guys.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts