Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want heads. Who makes em, and what ones should I get? I'm planing in advance here. I won't get my Christmas bonus for a few months, but I should start planning now. I figure with heads I should be around 380. I figure everyone is going to say livernois, so where is the best place to get them? Is $2099 the best? Ouch. If anyone has any other parts that will add n/a power let me know. After heads I'll be at the end of the n/a stock block road to my knowledge.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've been looking at doing heads also. We have alot to choose from besides Livernois. I've used Fox Lake before with great success on pushrod motors. There is also Total Engine Air Flow, Sutton Performance,FRPP, BBR and MMR.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
with heads, 2099 from livernois...you will need

Head gaskets (cometic) 200 bucks
head bolts (ARP) 300 bucks
phaser bolts (oem) 60 bucks
timing chain and cam cover gaskets can be reused

plus labour unless you are doing it youself....so its a bit more than just the cost of your heades, hope its a big bonus!

And ya i would go with livernois...even with the problems i had getting mine

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
IDK, man I live 30min away from Livernois Motorsports. They do alright work, but I prefer Fox Lake. Better customer support, and they stand behind their product.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
nothing wrong with fox lake either...we are getting into personal preference here bro. either way is good.

I almost went Fox lake but i had 3 grand wraped up in livernois so i stuck with them....turned out alright, best advice juco....read....then read some more.

·
Registered
623 Posts

plus labour unless you are doing it youself....so its a bit more than just the cost of your heades, hope its a big bonus!

Could really notice a big difference when you did the heads ? Did the motor get stroked at the same time you did the heads ?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
yup,

stroked, heads, cam limiters, clutch, headers...all at the same time

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Livernois has ****ed several guys in the area. If they'll **** over a local guy, do you think they care about someone across the country?

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
I almost went with them too, until I started asking on the local forums. I heard many horror stories, and then I went to Walsh Motorsports which is also D&D Performance. I got ****ed by them instead.

·
Registered
623 Posts
:eek:

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
i dunno man. im across the country from them and up and out of the country...they did okay by me....it took a while but shipping to canada was a bitch. i think i waited 2 extra months all said from the time i got my ****ed heads till the time i got the good set sent to me...they even included new ARP crank bolt, phaser bolts and gaskets because i had my motor together before i noticed the heads were ****ed.

But thats me....if they ****ed you then i believe you and dont blame you for not wanting to use them.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
They ****ed my neighbor. Walsh ****ed me by building a completely different engine than what I payed them for. When I told them this isn't what I wanted they provided m with another engine to my specs. but tried jacking the price up to $15k. I had to get my attorney involved, and needless to say the owner now has a Azure Blue Mach1 that he paid $12.5k for without an engine. Plus I still had my $10k insurance check. I made out in the long run, but it cost me a summer with no car.

·
Retired MM Ninjas
12,556 Posts
Livernois is a great shop, they know what they're doing it's the quality of craftsmanship that has given them a bad rep locally. They build some badass cars for some people, but they try to crank out to many cars.

They have gotten so big, that they can't take their time anymore. I may go back to them, as they did the work on my Camaro, and it was right the frst time.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
I hear a lot of good things about the BBR heads on the other forum.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts

If he's not planning on F/I, then he can use stock head bolts. I've heard about people keeping stock head gaskets with high boost, so I think he'll be fine using those.

I want heads. Who makes em, and what ones should I get? I'm planing in advance here. I won't get my Christmas bonus for a few months, but I should start planning now. I figure with heads I should be around 380. I figure everyone is going to say livernois, so where is the best place to get them? Is $2099 the best? Ouch. If anyone has any other parts that will add n/a power let me know. After heads I'll be at the end of the n/a stock block road to my knowledge.

It would've been a good idea to get heads when you got cams so you wouldn't have to pay for upgraded valvetrain and someone to tear the motor apart twice, but oh well.

I think you should look into BBR or Fox Lake. Fox Lake requires a core though. BBR doesn't, but they charge you for not supplying a core unless you choose to do so.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts