Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that in 2003 Ford produced new heads for the Mustang GT 4.6L with more threads for the spark plugs to do away with the problem of throwing spark plugs problem?

If so, wouldn't it be smarter for me to get 2003 head for a replacement than going for a 2002 head?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump :d

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Look for a thread called "is this true" or something like that. It's about the same issue

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not really. You see, I already had one blow out, and I already did the helicoil thing, but it happened again on same plug. So I'm unable to retap and already tapped hole that has stripped again.

So I need a new head. And I heard that in 2003 Ford fixed their problem by adding more threads to the spark plug holes. So that's what I'm curious about. But thank you for tryin to help.

Anyone else have any knowledge on this issue?

·
Registered
978 Posts
i have read this somewhere in here and i do believe you are correct. i will try to dig it up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot man. It's killing having my baby just sitting in the driveway! lol

I figure if the 2003 heads will match and have better/more spark plug threads then why not go for that and at least on the drivers side head this won't happen again.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
You really should strip the threads even if theres only a few. In future make sure the heads are cold, cold metal is a lil stiffer and use a torque wrench, Plugs only get 18ft-lbs i believe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did try to retap the hole but it just wouldn't work. It was def cold because its been sitting for a month now. Idk, it just wouldn't tap again.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Is it true that in 2003 Ford produced new heads for the Mustang GT 4.6L with more threads for the spark plugs to do away with the problem of throwing spark plugs problem?

If so, wouldn't it be smarter for me to get 2003 head for a replacement than going for a 2002 head?

thanks in advance
Not really. You see, I already had one blow out, and I already did the helicoil thing, but it happened again on same plug. So I'm unable to retap and already tapped hole that has stripped again.

So I need a new head. And I heard that in 2003 Ford fixed their problem by adding more threads to the spark plug holes. So that's what I'm curious about. But thank you for tryin to help.

Anyone else have any knowledge on this issue?
How did that thread not answer your question?

yeah it happens to all motors. it has done this to me three times in 8 months so far:mad:. im starting to be a pro at putting the inserts in the head. the 4.6, 5.4, and 6.8 has this kind of problem. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/99-04/136049-romeo-head-blew-out-4-plug.html
its more a windsor motor issue to my knowledge which is a 99/00 model. it can happen on any head if overtighten'd/not tight enough. as for the compression, it will depend on if/what combustion chamber work is done.
There you go, it happens on romeo and windsor motors alike, so either way a stock replacement head is gonna have the same crappy spark plug threading

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I understand how that post could be help to me. But what I was trying to say to you is , my problem is not occuring because of over tightened plugs. It's because of the design flaw of the 2002 and earlier heads which only have 4 threads holding plug in. I know that this can happen to any motor with aluminum head and over torqued plugs. And I once heard a rumor that the 2003 and up heads they made the threads more numerous so this would be less likely to occur with correctly torqued plugs.

Sorry if i offended you by saying it was not what I was looking for answer wise. I did thank you tho. But i'm sure my problem is due to the bad engineering of the head with only 4 threads holding in plug.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I understand how that post could be help to me. But what I was trying to say to you is , my problem is not occuring because of over tightened plugs. It's because of the design flaw of the 2002 and earlier heads which only have 4 threads holding plug in. I know that this can happen to any motor with aluminum head and over torqued plugs. And I once heard a rumor that the 2003 and up heads they made the threads more numerous so this would be less likely to occur with correctly torqued plugs.

Sorry if i offended you by saying it was not what I was looking for answer wise. I did thank you tho. But i'm sure my problem is due to the bad engineering of the head with only 4 threads holding in plug.
I see where your coming from but theres plenty of guys that have the heads with the limited number of threads and they dont have problems, so its like something your doing that causing the problem. If you got a head with more threads that would def help prevent the issue in the future.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts

Not a big deal, and you didn't offend me. I guess I gathered from the thread that that design flaw (so few threads) was not fixed on the later 2v heads and that's why I posted the link. Someone has to have a set of '03 or '04 heads laying around that they could count the threads quick though and we'd know for sure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright. Thanks a lot for all your help D_cook14. I appreciate it a lot. I found someone on Ebay who sells remanufactured heads for $325. Tested and warranted. I believe I will just purchase that head from him and have the repair done.

Since I work full time and have no garage, I will be trying to find a trust worth shop to do the swap.
Anyone have even a slight idea of what the labor would cost? Just a round a bout figure. I will be supplying the head, gaskets, and bolts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts