Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am geting the patroit perfofmance freedom heads and a e303 cam with 1.7 rockers will there be piston valve clearance issues? it has the 2.02 intake valve

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
i am geting the patroit perfofmance freedom heads and a e303 cam with 1.7 rockers will there be piston valve clearance issues? it has the 2.02 intake valve
better cam dude at least get a trickflow stage 1, my friend put a e303 in his car and the only thing it did was make his lowend terrible

·
Registered
579 Posts
yea 1.94 unless you are getting trick flows heads.I would do the trick flow stage 1 cam also thats what I have with 1.7's and am in the high 12's soon to be mid 12's.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
ready for the douchebag of the day? a kid at my friends work just put a e303 cam and a edelbrock performer intake and some 275 nittos, went to the track and ran a 15.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
At least he went to the track! Most people would just claim it feels faster and pull performance numbers out of their ass. Maybe he was running 16's before the swap and he is now down to mid 15's? ;)
That sucks either way.

·
Banned
2,194 Posts
ready for the douchebag of the day? a kid at my friends work just put a e303 cam and a edelbrock performer intake and some 275 nittos, went to the track and ran a 15.5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was there 2 300 pound men in the back seat?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what if i go 1.6 is there any way i can get around putting new pistons in and still have the 2.02 intake

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is the lift on the tf cam or what one schould i get my other plan was to get the gt-40x head. are the tf that much better and what is the diff between track heat and street heat

·
Registered
30 Posts
NO NO NO NO you dont have to change pistons but you DO NEED to pull the pistons you have and have them notched. I put AFR 185cc heads on mine and I have a trickflow stage 2 cam. Mine hit so all I did was pull the motor and had the pistons notched. look I know its alot of work BUT if you try to run it and it bends the intake valves and drops them could cost you BIG BIG bucks to fix ie ( new pistons, new valves, and could scratch you cylinder walls BAD and then you would lose compression and it would use oil like a *****)

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
gota remember a trickflow stage 2 cam has a lift of like .542 when the stage 1 is only .510

·
Registered
559 Posts
max valve lift, totally irrelevant when talking piston to valve clearance. Think, when the intake valve is at max lift where is the piston in the bore? Ok so now with that said, you can cut the pistons in the block if you like, we did it for decades, lindy tools and isky have the in head relief cutters, lindy sells them, isky rents them

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can notch the pistons in the block with an piston notcher from Isky Cams. http://www.iskycams.com/iskycategory_search.php?sub_category_id=133

As for those heads, I would find something better. There has been noted machining flaws along with cheap valve train parts. You get what you pay for, there is a reason they can sell them at such a low price. Think about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
b4 i seen that i was going to get the 185 afr head and i gessing i would still half t cut the pistons will a trick flow stage 2 can work in a stock head????

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
max valve lift, totally irrelevant when talking piston to valve clearance. Think, when the intake valve is at max lift where is the piston in the bore? Ok so now with that said, you can cut the pistons in the block if you like, we did it for decades, lindy tools and isky have the in head relief cutters, lindy sells them, isky rents them
I Thought higher lift gave a higher chance of PTV clearance problems, especially at overlap, I would think lift & duration would somewhat effect PTV clearance.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Increasing duration can and will increase the overlap period, which can affect PTV clearance, as will increasing the lift value of the lobes additionally. People confuse themselves when they think about lobe lift and its values. Increasing the lift of a lobe, and changing its ramp rates can have an effect during the overlap period in the sense of how far the valve is open at a certain degree value, but max lobe lift has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so dose that mean i can put a stage 2 cam in a stock head? it most likly will be a gt40p head with new springs to handle the higher lift. and 1.7 rockers are prob out of the ?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Increasing duration can and will increase the overlap period, which can affect PTV clearance, as will increasing the lift value of the lobes additionally. People confuse themselves when they think about lobe lift and its values. Increasing the lift of a lobe, and changing its ramp rates can have an effect during the overlap period in the sense of how far the valve is open at a certain degree value, but max lobe lift has nothing to do with it.
Good write. That is my point the higher the max lift, the higher the lobes are at any given point in the duration. so max lift is somthing to consider with ptv clearance.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts