Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking for ideas for headhunits from people that weren't using the factory headunit (Mach 460?). Pics are appreciated if you have them. Main reason I ask is I just pulled my radio (haven't pulled cd player yet). I was under the impression that you could just drop in a new head unit but I've been told otherwise >.<

Any input is really appreciated!

- Hill

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I was just looking for ideas for headhunits from people that weren't using the factory headunit (Mach 460?). Pics are appreciated if you have them. Main reason I ask is I just pulled my radio (haven't pulled cd player yet). I was under the impression that you could just drop in a new head unit but I've been told otherwise >.<

Any input is really appreciated!

- Hill
Get an adapter that is made for the 460 unit to utilize the amps otherwise you will have to run the speakers to the headunit.
Car Stereo Installation at Crutchfield.com

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would that be a part that the local Autozone might have or is it more specific than the "universal" parts they carry?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Would that be a part that the local Autozone might have or is it more specific than the "universal" parts they carry?
It's more specific than universal you need a kit that fits your two din slots and a wiring kit that will use the current amps which most cars don't have so the universal wiring kits won't work either. Also don't go to bestbuy their stuff is extremely overpriced compared to what I paid for my stuff at the crutchfield link I gave you.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I paid 50 for wiring harness and antennae adapter for my old neon

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Seems like it

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my experience, "universal" means it won't fit anything well. I think in most cases you will be happier in the long run if you spend the extra money on specific-fit parts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^Yeah, I figured that out when I bought the universal tool for pulling the radio. Could only pull the radio, couldn't get the cd player out (mainly because of the shifter being in the way).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
ehh tbh I think it looks much cleaner if you take the stock cd player out. When I put my dvd player in the cd player was much harder to pull than the radio. Don't know why but maybe that tool will work if you just wiggle it a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
V8orNothing, I checked out Crutchfield's site and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It might be because I don't know what I'm looking for. Also, it said that if I wanted to purchase an item online I needed to be a dealer?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
V8orNothing, I checked out Crutchfield's site and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. It might be because I don't know what I'm looking for. Also, it said that if I wanted to purchase an item online I needed to be a dealer?
Ford Receiver Wiring Harness For select 1989-2000 Fords with factory amplifiers at Crutchfield.com
Universal DIN Tool (Pair) For Factory Radio Removal at Crutchfield.com
Dash Pocket Fits select 1987-up Geo, Infiniti, Isuzu, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Suzuki, and Volvo models at Crutchfield.com
Ford/Mazda In-dash Receiver Kit Fits select 1993-up models Chassis size E at Crutchfield.com
Thats what you are going to need. And just press the big green button that says add to cart and continue with checking out. I've bought many things before from them and I'm not a dealer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i never took the cd player part out just left it in there
I plan to take it out. I saw an image on another forum of a guy's SN who had a Pioneer head unit (either Pioneer or Kenwood) and had three gauges where the CD player was. Looked awesome so I ended up buying the gauge mount off ebay and just got it yesterday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts