Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard 2 different stories on heating your springs.. whats the real story.. in my mind.. it would temper the metal and make it softer... therefore make them compress easier which would help traction... i need all the input i can get cuz im thinking about heating my springs to get my car lower and i would rather spend money on something else rather than springs right now so... what is the deal

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
heating them also takes the memory out of them. your car will not sit right for long. and im guessing your not doin this to lower it either. but if so same thing will happen.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmm.. k. how do i know how much to cut them? i want it to be low... i think my car is lower on front but stock on back... does anyone know stock height from ground to fender?

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i took my front sway bar out and it seemed like it lowered a little in the front... but im thinking about putting it back in.. i dunno just yet

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
cars typically sit lower in the front than in the rear.

i would start by chopping 3/4 coil off of it all the way around, then keep cutting 1/4 coil from there until you have it where you want it.

you will however need to get a set of aftermarket CC plates to correct yoru alignment, theres not enough adjustment room int he stockers for lowering it that much.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
piss on all that.. ill just wait and get a lowering kit.. lol.. and what i meant by lower in the front as in its lower in front than stock. but rear is stock height... i was told it had a 1.5" eibach lowering kit.. but i dunno... i just want it to be really low to give my wheels a more offset look....

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
what does being low have to do with wheel offset?

and just get a coil over if you want it really low. then if you get tired of it you can raise it up.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
:withhomo

·
Registered
600 Posts
i'd just get a new set of springs, cutting them or heating them up will end up messing something up and make it ride and handle like ****

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Does not look stock to me at all in the front.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
if you want to ruin your springs, go ahead and heat them up. cutting the springs won't **** them up or make the ride or handling shitty. i helped my buddy cut his on his 04 Cobra, and it doesn't ride bad at all. he cut 3/4 coil off the front and 1 coil off the back, i think. looks lowered about 2 inches...

·
Banned
2,403 Posts
if you want to ruin your springs, go ahead and heat them up. cutting the springs won't **** them up or make the ride or handling shitty. i helped my buddy cut his on his 04 Cobra, and it doesn't ride bad at all. he cut 3/4 coil off the front and 1 coil off the back, i think. looks lowered about 2 inches...
+1, doesnt change the ride one bit cutting them.

·
Resident Bubblehead
6,190 Posts
i think i even saw an episode of Overhaulin where Chip Foose cut a set of springs

·
Registered
360 Posts
i wouldn't take any shortcuts, just buy the lowering springs.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
the only time you get in a little bit of trouble is when you cut progressive springs. you take some of the ride quality they give you out. but we've cut springs before on old cars never one problem. other than if you do it too far ball joints start breakin. we've heated them just too see whatll happen. they do good for a little while and then eventually they all become a diff length rate and etc.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts