Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard is it to change out the heater core? Are there any guides you could point in my direction? On my way home from work today I smelled coolant inside the car and when I looked at the passenger floor there was some coolant on the carp[et and a slow drip. IWhen I pulled over I could hear the hot coolant escaping from a restriction and there was also a small puddle under the passenger side. I am going to loop the lines together for now to keep the coolant from going into the heater core. Any suggestions?

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Mine was a pain in the ass but if you got a full day to do it and a buddy you should be able to. The entire dash has to come out to get out the heater box.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Good luck if its got ahttp://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/heater-core-vt36243.htmlir pretty much have to take the dash out

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
You do have to take out the dash its a pain if I had the choice and the money I would have paid someone to do it

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
Yeah there is now way around it jst do it yourself like I said if you start in the morning you could have it done by late afternoon or evening if you have never done one before

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8t6gt said:
Yeah there is now way around it jst do it yourself like I said if you start in the morning you could have it done by late afternoon or evening if you have never done one before
Nope, never done a r & r on a heater core. Just a removal of the heater box in a 66 Mustang and the dash did not have to come out.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You dont have to take it all the way out on a fox but it is easyer and if you have air you have to drain it and recharge it as well

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had a 84 that was going to be a quick buck drove the **** out of it heater core started leaking i cut the box put a heater core in it duct taped backed together and painted it black lol it worked and i sold it

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
86ttops said:
I had a 84 that was going to be a quick buck drove the **** out of it heater core started leaking i cut the box put a heater core in it duct taped backed together and painted it black lol it worked and i sold it
Ive done this, there is somewhere online that shows about where to cut the box to pull the heater core our, worked great. I just glued mine back with black silicone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ujslost said:
86ttops said:
Ive done this, there is somewhere online that shows about where to cut the box to pull the heater core our, worked great. I just glued mine back with black silicone.
Right here: http://www.mustangsteve.com/heatercore.html

What size are the heater hoses that go into the firewall?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Its not a bad job, done it many times. Don't let them scare you just a few nuts and bolts. I can knock them out in a few hours with out removing the dash.

-remove center console
-drop 4 bolts on the steering coulomb
-take out the 3? bolts holding the dash, on center of windshield and 2 next to kick panel
-Remove hoses (AC and water) to the firewall
-remove 2 nuts on fire wall side.
-pull dash tord seat on passenger side and you CAN reach the bolts and remove the heater core.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts