Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 351w with a hei distributor and a x 303 cam the 351 is a mexiican block.I just cant seem to get the timing down to get the car to start.Getting fuel and spark.I just cant pin point which spark plug wire goes where.Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does the rotor button facing a sertain way to be

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
As long as the rotor is pointing towards the number 1 cylinder plug wire at TDC on the compression stroke, it can be anywhere on the dizzy you want it to be. Just make sure everything after it is in the correct order and you're good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok I didnt do that I just put the dizzy in facing the right way and plugs on right cylinders but the rotor button wasnt in the right spot.Would that make it not start at all rotor button being off.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Start over and find TDC on cylinder number one. Look where the rotor is pointing. Loosen the distributor and put the cap on it and adjust it until the rotor is directly under the post you want #1 to be. Then put your wires on counter clock wise 13726548. This should get you close enough to start it. After you start the car, use a timing light to set your correct timing.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
iam gonna give this a shot when i get off work.Rotor button point toward cylinder 1 or 1 on the distributor.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The post that you are going to use as number one on the cap. Theoretically, you can drop the distributor in wherever you want as long as you use a post that is directly above it for #1 when you are at top dead center. Most people/Factory location point the rotor to the top left area (when looking at it from the front) for #1 when the distributor is dropped in. It keeps your plug wire neater.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts