Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys...expecting a big tax return, and the funds are being set aside for a power adder. I've got it narrowed down to either a whipple h.o. kit or a hellion turbo kit. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with either. The car is not my daily driver, I just want to build something fun for the street, and be able to smoke the new camaros in the process. My #1 concern is reliability/durability. As my car only has 4k miles on it, i don't want to have to be wrenching on it every week so i can drive it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no...stock internals with 4k miles. I plan on keeping the boost conservative, at least until i can upgrade internals. One of the reasons i like the turbo is that it could grow with me.

·
Banned
5,174 Posts
Both are reliable, as long as you keep the power at or below 470RWHP with a conservative tune.

Personally, I'd go with the turbo.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
how much HP do you plan on having in the long run. the whipple can run big boost too. if you are mostly street driving the whipple has more low end torque which would be better on the street. with either setup you are gonna be happy. i'm just not a big fan of turbo's, runs hot and i just like the sound of the TS.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
I say the twin screw blower. It hangs right with the turbo as far as capablity goes, and I like the powerband of the blower better than the hair dryer.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
turbos are a better design. more efficient. that cannot be argued, i love my novi 2200, but hell yeah id take a 12k blower over it.. Using exhaust to propel it is just so much better than using your freakin pulley system. Your not asking the motor to spin more its gotta be better for the lifespan

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've researched both Twin-Turbo,and the Whipple.Twin-Turbo's are excellent for just racing at the track,but if your looking for the best of both worlds,it's the Whipple..Yeah I know opinions are like Butthole's..Everybody's got one,and they all stink...lol...:tomatoI'm going with the Whipple...:cool:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
alleykat best of both worlds is not the whipple IMO because of everything i said, AND you get better gas mileage than whipple with turbo.. and it sounds better

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Both can be upgraded for massive power, but turbos are technically more effecient, more power for the boost. Personally am looking at whipple or KB, but thats because my goal is to run mid-11s on the street, nothing more. I like the instant power the twin screws offer.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i went whipple and am very happy
with it.

turbo or whipple, either way you'll be
smiling

·
Registered
378 Posts
I'm looking forwards to a whipple. But I have no intention of browsing any further until i have a forged motor. My big thing is, "If your gonna do it, do it ALL the way". You MAY not run full boost and 900rwhp (dear lord.) But you can. That's just my 2 cents.

I love the sound of a whipple. Any twin screw really. It's that ear-piercing, dieing cougar(yep. came up w/ that myself.) sound that is just incredible. I love that sound, and though I love turbos (hell I was introduced to FI w/ turbos) nothing (in my book) fits a Ford like a Twin-screw Blower. They were ment to be.

So do the American thing.
Get a whipple.
:usa

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
Had twin turbo's on my 89 supra and I have a KB twin screw on my Stang... I liked the sound of the turbo better but the instant boost from the blower makes it better.. If I was worried about mileage I would get a econo 4 banger

·
Registered
462 Posts
Like I said it all come's down to opinions....For low end "Grunt" you can't beat a twin screw....We could argue this until the Cows come home....but I'm going whipple rather than KB,better fit,and finish for the price...:tomato

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'm all for the whipple. Its a great blower putting down great power and realiability of your internals in mind, with a good boost level and conservative tune. turbo's are more efficient and make even more power, but I hate boost lag. I'd rather have the power when I hit the pedal in a twin screw than waiting till 3000+ RPM for boost to kick in a turbo.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much HP do you plan on having in the long run. the whipple can run big boost too. if you are mostly street driving the whipple has more low end torque which would be better on the street. with either setup you are gonna be happy. i'm just not a big fan of turbo's, runs hot and i just like the sound of the TS.

My immediate goals are for around 450 rwhp. I was dead set on the whipple kit, but the turbo still intriques me, maybe because it doesnt seem to be as popular, and the sound is wild. Thanks for the replies...thats why this forum is great.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
ok heres my view f*ck wat every1 says about either or, whether this is American that is tuner, who cares!

what YOU need to do is get ur ass off ur chair and out to some meets and find some1 with both and get a ride/test see what you feel is best. no sounds none of that ****.. all FI sounds awesome.. **** even n/a motors sound awesome, big cammed beasts for example.

forums are here to help you with ur problems and give u feedback of vendors and products NOT to make ur decision. thats the biggest mistake is to let some1 else make ur car. not sayin these guys dont have taste but in the end when you look at it is it ur vision or theirs?

i can feed u **** to persuade u to go either way but i have seen pple go twin screw then switch to centri or turbo and turbo go t/s.. u cant decide thru videos or anything. so get ur fat ass up off the computer and go have fun and make YOUR car... well YOUR CAR.

this is comin from some1 that loves his turbos.... but its all a personal preference so because i like them doesnt mean u would or wont.

that is the bottom line. Im sure every1 will agree with this.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts