Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone this is my first post to the site. I have an 89 lx trunk style fox body and I'm currently rebuilding the engine. This isn't my first engine build, but it's the first E.F.I. build.Here are some specs since I don't have my avatar set up yet. Right now only the bottom end is assembled due to funds, but more is soon to be on the way.
bored 4.030 over
e303 cam
procomp aluminum heads 2.02I/1.60E I believe 64cc chambers iirc
balanced and polished crank, rods, pistons
BBK 24 lb. injectors, 65 mm T.B., cold air intake, BBK shorty headers
calibrated MAF sensor
Edelbrock Performer upper and lower intake
Cloyes double roller timing chain
Phenolic intake spacer
Pistons are speed pro, estimating 9.4:1 compression
Most of these parts I already have, still need cam, lifters, pushrods.
Main question, whats the computer gonna do, and what mods do I need to address with it? Also, anyone with a similar build and dyno numbers? Sorry for the novel.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
It's good you still need the cam, alphabet cams are junk. Do some research and ask around on some of the mustang forums. There's much better cams out there for the money.

If you want the combo to run at it's best for what it is, then you're going to want to tune it in some form. Either take it to a tuner and have a chip burnt, or check out some of the self tuners and tune it yourself. ANderson PMS, Moates QuarterHorse, and the TwEECer are a few to start. If you like the idea of tuning yourself, check out eectuning.org and read around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you sir. I have checked out the tweecer and the anderson cams, however I haven't seen anything on their site that gives their cam specs. My springs can't handle much more than .498 lift(1.6 roller rockers). Although I'm not totally opposed to bigger springs if I can free up some funds. I've never tuned an EEC before but I'd like to learn how. Lookin for a street/strip car in the 12's.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Well, getting a cam based on what springs you have is shooting yourself in the foot. If you really want a well put together engine, the springs need to be set-up for the cam you buy, not the other way around. 12's aren't very hard in a fox to attain, so if that's all your goal is, you can probably get it done with some seat time and the combo you listed. If you run slicks, it shouldn't have a problem hitting 12's. But with some extra time, more planning, and a little more money, you could go faster. It's all in attention to detail.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Point taken. Springs may be in my near future. Will take a little more time with limited funds, just wanna beat the boss's son's new camaro ss (also doing 4.11 gears). Is the tweecer reusable like a tuner or a programmable chip you can only use once? The site is not very clear on how it works, and I am still an amateur.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yes, it's basically a chip that installs in your computer and has a cable you attach to your computer. So you can hook it up to a laptop and datalog (with the tweecer R/T) and change parameters within the EEC whenever you like. It's a lot to take in and it will take quite a while to figure it out. But if you can, then you don't have to take your car to a tuner everytime you make a change to your car. You can just plug in the laptop and tune it in your driveway. Plus there's always little things that pop up in a tune that will annoy you. With a tuner like that, you can just go in and play with it until it's right.

If you are seriously considering one, definitely spend a couple days reading up on the EEC and tuning before you dive in. And weigh your options between the QuarterHorse and the TwEECer. I went with the QH myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will do. the r/t goes for $400 and a tune in these parts is $500. another question, can i at least break in the engine first or is it goin to go bizerk?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If everything is set up right, the stock computer will run that car fine. It won't be optimum, but it'll be streetable for sure. If it's a C&L MAF and you have some issues, that's the first place I would look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great. That's pretty much the info I was lookin for. I'm gonna look into quarter horse a little more. What cam would you recommend for my set up? I'm running stock converter for now. Like I said looking for 12's without a/c and smog, and back seats. Also running 1.605 compression distance piston so I'm worried bout piston to valve clearance with the bigger valves and higher lift cam.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I couldn't recommend a good cam with much accuracy. Your best bet is to call up anderson or comp cams or any of those and ask them their recommendation. Make sure to get their recommendation on springs too... If you really want to make sure you're not just talking to some idiot who's reading from generic list, ask him how far away from coil bind those springs will be at peak lift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts