Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my name is Kevin I'm from Charleston,SC, I've been searching and reading mustang and other forums for a while now, Back in February I brought an 1997 mustang 3.8 5 speed 108,xxx miles for $2500. I love this car its chrome yellow(not original) with cobra R rims. i've turned a few wrenches and id rate my mechanical ability at a 7.5 out of 10. Starting next yr I will be starting a new job and want to build my car up. With that color,the name, and the rims ppl try me at red lights all the time But I know its a bigger better world out there better than my 150hp v6. I have two options here either buy a whole 1990 Thunderbird sc and swap into Nana (car name) or I also have a buddy at a towing yard with a 2002 crown vic engine that I can get for $200....I'm at a crossroad here idk were to start either i can have a supercharged v6 or and PI 4.6...what should I do? which is better in the long run?....

thanks for replys,kev

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I dont think you realize that its not just an engine you need to swap if your gonna go with the 4.6. You will need new:
transmission
Driveshaft
rearend - 7.5 will handle stock 4.6 power but not much more than that. plus, why would you want to do a one wheel peel when you try to burn rubber
brake booster - v6 is bigger than v8
power steering hoses to the brake booster
ecu
ccrm
gauge cluster from v8 otherwise your speedo will be off. In order to get around pats you will need it retuned or get all those from the same vehicle including the key and ingnition

Im sure there is more. Its been a while since ive done it. i wrote a writeup of it once upon a time. I think its called "infamous v8 swap" or something like that. But in the long run. The v8 will be better and can offer more power. But getting an engine out of a crown vic isnt the easiest way to get it. Buy a donor car thats been wrecked and swap everything over

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
I dont think you realize that its not just an engine you need to swap if your gonna go with the 4.6. You will need new:
transmission
Driveshaft
rearend - 7.5 will handle stock 4.6 power but not much more than that. plus, why would you want to do a one wheel peel when you try to burn rubber
brake booster - v6 is bigger than v8
power steering hoses to the brake booster
ecu
ccrm
gauge cluster from v8 otherwise your speedo will be off. In order to get around pats you will need it retuned or get all those from the same vehicle including the key and ingnition

Im sure there is more. Its been a while since ive done it. i wrote a writeup of it once upon a time. I think its called "infamous v8 swap" or something like that. But in the long run. The v8 will be better and can offer more power. But getting an engine out of a crown vic isnt the easiest way to get it. Buy a donor car thats been wrecked and swap everything over
Agreed, I believe the pan, front cover and some other stuff is different.
Personally I'd sell the V6 and find a V8 car but that won't be much better unless it has a blower or pi swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys...I guess I'll just drive the sixxer and keep it clean. And avoid being side by side to real muscle at red lights lol hell even the new economy hondas have gearing so good I struggle for a win....I stoped trying ppl a long time ago the feel is there but not the power, still turns heads tho

And gurls love her lol

·
Behold the black horse...
847 Posts
Don't let the tardhead v6ers convince you that they can "take gts" all the time. lol

got pics?
I'd just drive the six while you save up for something better. Avoid pulling up next to a 4.6, 3.7, and 5.0s.

·
Livin' the Dream
303 Posts
I did the Super Coupe swap on a 1998 v6 about 4 years ago (before I owned a Terminator). It's not easy. I did mine with moderate knowledge of engines. The hardest parts are the brake lines hitting the intercooler pipe, the vac lines, re-torquing the lower intake bolts, and just keeping everything organized.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm headed to an local mustang shop tomorrow everyone says that 4.6 won't bolt up to a T5 but with a removable bell housing it should. I'm not gonna be dragging it every weekend just a little fun here and there. I really want that engine! 200 bucks..that's a steal

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
Doing the swap you'd probably spend more money than if you were to just outright by a GT. Another thing to consider, if you wreck your car with a v8 swap you think your insurance is gonna pay for all those parts, labor, and $$ that you put into it? Nope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it costs me more than 1500 I won't do it...a 99+ (because pre 99's suck HP wise)GT that's not been footed & beated on will run me around 6000 at the least...2500 plus another 1500 =4000....and I still have v6 insurance. As far as wrecking...only ppl with autos & women wreck lol. As faras parts I have connects

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
As mentioned above it's not gonna be just throw an engine in and go. You'll pretty much have to re-do everything outside of the car. Yeah nobody plans on wrecking but one day somebody could hit you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts