Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ok guys Im pressed for time to get this belt on and I need a quick question answered

Ok on the back of the belt thing (the box) it says to redo the tensior ok well I think I have an auto tensior thing because when I pulled it off it didnt really move it just kinda moved up then when back so i have the auto tensior right?

and it says to let run 3-5 min

thanks guys

(to think i was gonna pay someone 50$ to do that ((it was alot easier getting it off then I thought)) now the hard part putting it back on):eek:

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok please help me!!!!!

Ive been to advance twice now about to be 3 times waiting for some input from you guys ok the belt I took off was on tightly they gave me the belt that looked that it matched (length wise) and it was about 1inch short of the altenator (thats the one I do last because the tensior) ok so went back said I needed a longer one (took the old belt again) now this time its about 3 inchs well maybe 2 short

Ok so I dont have to have my ac right now so will it hurt if I just skip that one??

Long as I cover the altenator, tensior, water pump, cranckshaft pully

O they also tryed to give me the one for the stock 5.0 but I dont have a smog pump so I told them I needed the one thats 84.5" thats what it says on the diagram so what should I dp

·
Registered
437 Posts
i don't know if you can bypass the A/C because the bel may rub itself right above the water pump pulley. Did you raise the tensioner up out of the way when you trie the first belt?

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....I must be sierously dumb

ok so like I kind of did but it keeps coming down like I cant get it to stay up am I doing it wrong because I try to put the belt on first leave the altenator and then try to raise it up and put the belt on

How do you raise it up and make it stay up?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
route the belt around all the accesories and save the tensioner for last, then use a wrench or pry bar and pry the tensioner up and slip the belt under the tensioner pulley and release the tensioner and you are done

·
Registered
437 Posts
....I must be sierously dumb

ok so like I kind of did but it keeps coming down like I cant get it to stay up am I doing it wrong because I try to put the belt on first leave the altenator and then try to raise it up and put the belt on

How do you raise it up and make it stay up?
The way I raise it up and keep it up was with a 18mm wrench then slide the belt on the alt and then let the tensioner down on the belt, and make sure that your within the range. You will see a range gauge on the front of the tensioner the side that mounts to the alt bracket

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok that is what I have kinda been tryin to do but the F***In belt wont go around them all Im going to grab the stock one ( but i dont have a smog pump) just to see if it works

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
it doesnt stay up you just hold it.....this part is much easier with an extra hand.....i usually have it on all the pulleys except the alt and then raise the tensioner and someone else slips the belt on the alt

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
well my post was a lil late

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well see that sounds great but the belts wont fit like the first one was maybe 1/2-1inch short this one is like 2 short and im going insane but I dont have the smog pump so its 84.5 but they dont get that I guess

could anyone tell me what the number might be from like advance auto god i would apprecciate it

·
Registered
437 Posts
ok well see that sounds great but the belts wont fit like the first one was maybe 1/2-1inch short this one is like 2 short and im going insane but I dont have the smog pump so its 84.5 but they dont get that I guess

could anyone tell me what the number might be from like advance auto god i would apprecciate it
I can't tell you exactly what number you need but they go up in .5" increments if the 84.5" is to long get a 85". You can't find the number on the old belt you only realy need the last 3 digits

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok guys

I went from 770k6 (to small by inch maybe 2) to 760k6 (to small by 2-3) now I got the 780k5 (to small by a inch) ok so I feel like im doing something majorly wrong because all these arnt fitting

On the orignal you cant see the number but it says 7 something and then it looks like k6 so wtf? am I doing something wrong or what could be up Im about to try to get the 790k5 and if it doesnt fit omg I dont know

i only have till like 5 o clock to get this right and if not I dont have a vehicle this weekend which isnt good need to go look for a job

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Sometimes, it won't just slide right on. It will fit if it is the same length belt that was on there. Most of the time when I do a belt, there is some swearing going on. Best advice is to use a long handled 1/2" drive socket wrench with an 18mm socket. If not, use a piece of pipe over whatever wrench you have to get a lot of leverage on your tensioner.

·
Registered
437 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH ok guys

I went from 770k6 (to small by inch maybe 2) to 760k6 (to small by 2-3) now I got the 780k5 (to small by a inch) ok so I feel like im doing something majorly wrong because all these arnt fitting

On the orignal you cant see the number but it says 7 something and then it looks like k6 so wtf? am I doing something wrong or what could be up Im about to try to get the 790k5 and if it doesnt fit omg I dont know

i only have till like 5 o clock to get this right and if not I dont have a vehicle this weekend which isnt good need to go look for a job
the first one 77" second 76" the third 78" try a 79". They cant match it to the old one? befor you leave the store take it out of the box and measur it yourself, hold both of them together and stretch them to see how close they are. Call me if you need to, I'll pm you ny number.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
are u prying the tensioner back before you put the belt on? cuz its gona be short if you dont pry it up run the belt then let then tensioner down

·
Registered
334 Posts
the tensioner is nothing more than spring loaded arm with a pulley on the end so it spins with the belt. When it is completely unloaded without a belt or someone prying on it, it SHOULD get in the way of you installing the belt.

Take a pry bar, or crow bar, or anything you can get leverage on it with, and pry the tensioner up when it comes time for the to belt to go around the alternator. Like mentioned above, it is easier with someone helping.

As far as getting the right belt, they do come in .5" increments, sometimes it takes a few trips, or buying 3-4 belts in one trip, then taking the rest back.

Once you find the right belt, keep note of it unless you change your pulley configuration. This is something you get to look forward to any time you change your pulley setups.

·
King of Clubhouse
5,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok guys i got the 850 a little big because it doesnt fit in the range thing on the tensior its past the range so I need a 845 because it HAS to be in the range inbetween it i mean right for it to properly work?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts