Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently had issues with my car, and after diagnosing the issue as a burnt cat causing too much back pressure, killing my driver's bank. By pulling the front O2 on that side and running the car i got loads of power back. I'm asking for help on what the best CA EMISSIONS LEGAL CATTED X PIPE is that i can run?

·
Registered
586 Posts
All california cats are illegal. If not factory, sorry thats just the way it is now if a smog shop doesnt know that it isnt stock or doesnt really care and it passes emissions anyways then you shouldnt have an issue,

Pypes and magnaflow makes the best catted mid pipes imo.

·
Registered
189 Posts
50 State legal cats can be used as replacements, Magnaflow is my personal preference.
If a SMOG shop notices the catalytics have been replaced, they may ask for proof of why they needed to be replaced. Usually having the paper work from the shop showing the cats have failed is enough.

·
Registered
586 Posts
50 State legal cats can be used as replacements, Magnaflow is my personal preference.
If a SMOG shop notices the catalytics have been replaced, they may ask for proof of why they needed to be replaced. Usually having the paper work from the shop showing the cats have failed is enough.
Thats wrong i work with California B.A.R and no cats are smog legal for use inside of california unless its a oem replacement from factory it is illegal in all ways to modify your existing smog equipment. Im sorry but this is the absolute truth.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
^ not 100% accurate

I JUST went through this crap with my work truck. VERY LONG story made short here..... There are a few NON OEM cats legal, but MUST, and I stress MUST, be listed on the BAR website and have two specific criteria. Not only does it have to be for the make, model and year of your car, but the engine family. This is were I got messed up and cost me about $300 and a major pain the the fargin ASS! :mad:

My truck is a 2K GMC G-Van 1-ton with a 350 motor. There are about 20 different engines of this type in my truck, but are different "engine family". I think it has to do with the actual "tune" of motor, being specific to the area in which the vehicle is sold (was told this, but not sure how this would work, as cars/trucks are sold and moved all over the country all the time :dunno). Anyway.... I purchased a cat that BAR website says is for my make, model and year of truck, but was the WRONG engine family. The smog guy climbed under the truck and visually confirmed the cat # via MY engine family (sticker located on air cleaner) and failed me. The truck had passed smog 3 times with that cat, but rules regarding testing have been changed to require testers to do this confirmation.

Second problem, is an aftermarket CAT that is acceptable today, may NOT be tomorrow. So long as it is INSTALLED prior to being taken off the BAR list, you are OK. If it is installed AFTER the "recinded" date, you are ****ed!

Suffice to say, Cali smog laws are the biggest PITA you can imagine and only going to get worse :(

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
^ not 100% accurate

I JUST went through this crap with my work truck. VERY LONG story made short here..... There are a few NON OEM cats legal, but MUST, and I stress MUST, be listed on the BAR website and have two specific criteria. Not only does it have to be for the make, model and year of your car, but the engine family. This is were I got messed up and cost me about $300 and a major pain the the fargin ASS! :mad:

My truck is a 2K GMC G-Van 1-ton with a 350 motor. There are about 20 different engines of this type in my truck, but are different "engine family". I think it has to do with the actual "tune" of motor, being specific to the area in which the vehicle is sold (was told this, but not sure how this would work, as cars/trucks are sold and moved all over the country all the time :dunno). Anyway.... I purchased a cat that BAR website says is for my make, model and year of truck, but was the WRONG engine family. The smog guy climbed under the truck and visually confirmed the cat # via MY engine family (sticker located on air cleaner) and failed me. The truck had passed smog 3 times with that cat, but rules regarding testing have been changed to require testers to do this confirmation.

Second problem, is an aftermarket CAT that is acceptable today, may NOT be tomorrow. So long as it is INSTALLED prior to being taken off the BAR list, you are OK. If it is installed AFTER the "recinded" date, you are ****ed!

Suffice to say, Cali smog laws are the biggest PITA you can imagine and only going to get worse :(

When im feeling up to it ill show you that you cannot modify smog equipment. I have a link i just got to find it, and absolutely i aggree with you about california laws and regulations tho huge pita

·
Registered
586 Posts
^^^ yeah your lucky to not live in cali, our beautiful weather and sunshine and nice 60 degree winter days lol its terrible ;)

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
When im feeling up to it ill show you that you cannot modify smog equipment. I have a link i just got to find it, and absolutely i aggree with you about california laws and regulations tho huge pita
:yes

I never said you can modify equimpment, only that "some" aftermarket CATS can be used and pass smog. If one wants to be 100% in compliance, use OEM and will ALWAYS be good. The problem is cost... :( The OEM CAT needed for the drivers side of my truck (passenger side is no longer made by any BAR approved company, so exempt from needing one) is like $1700 and ONLY available via dealer :eek: I was able to find a BAR approved, for the moment anyway, CAT for $200, so it was installed and passed smog. Now, this cat may no longer be BAR approved by the time my next smog is needed, but so long as it was installed PRIOR to a BAR recinding of its approval, I am good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
California is getting absurd with the laws regarding emissions, IMO if the car passes the sniffer test with flying colors, who gives a **** whats under the hood.

I have an instructor who currently works for the BAR as well, he stated that if a Catalytic is proven to be faulty, it may be replaced with an OEM style catalytic or CARB legal Catalytic that is for your vehicle. If your Catalytic system has to be removed and/or Replaced there has to be legal documentation stating as to why. You can't just do it for the hell of it.

There's a website: www.arb.ca.gov

This site states what components are legal replacements for your vehicle, they have the part #, manufacturer, CARB number, item description, the vehicles it's legal for... etc..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thats wrong i work with California B.A.R and no cats are smog legal for use inside of california unless its a oem replacement from factory it is illegal in all ways to modify your existing smog equipment. Im sorry but this is the absolute truth.
Not true. If it is CARB approved it can be used. The key is to make sure the ones you use have the correct EFN number and are for the correct engine code on the VIN plate. Start here and check out the numbers on your cats Cross reference those on what is stamped on your cats and get the correct ones.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic_converters/02product/02california.asp

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not true. If it is CARB approved it can be used. The key is to make sure the ones you use have the correct EFN number and are for the correct engine code on the VIN plate. Start here and check out the numbers on your cats Cross reference those on what is stamped on your cats and get the correct ones.
MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - CALIFORNIA STATE Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles
Im not going to tell you again you have to have paper work regarding this information that you pay for and its also a eo# not a efn number

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
4vGts, 02 is correct here :yes

I have a NON-OEM CAT that was JUST installed and passed the visual inspection from the smog guy. He failed the CAT that had been on my truck since the day I purchased it, as it was no longer approved via BAR. I then looked up my truck on the BAR website and had what I thought was an approved CAT installed and it failed visual. This is where I found out about the "engine family" 02 referred to as "engine code". I actually called up the BAR and complained about the shitty way in which the information is gathered via drop-down menus. I put in all my info and when 20 or so available CATs were show, I "assumed" that they would all be OK. Stupid me, (< scarcasm in the extreme), I said "why doesn't the BAR website ask for the VIN and this engine family would NOT be an issue?" She said "this is not really a website designed for use by the general public, but rather smog test stations". Typical government approach to completely AVOID common sense approach to getting a problem solved :mad:

I then had to go back to the BAR site and find MY engine code and was able to find a non-OEM replacement CAT that passed the visual inspection of the smog guy on the 3rd try.

On a side-note... prior to installing my first replacement CAT, I went to a different smog guy, one who was recommended to me by my auto-shoppe, and he said "Yup, that CAT is fine for your truck" So, I bought it, had it installed and failed that second test.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts