Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone. I own a 1999 Ford Mustang V6 and it has not been able to turn on the last few days. It does crank but while its cranking, the theft light blinks quickly. im guessing its a stock alarm or something. any suggestions on how i can fix this? thanks

·
Banned
636 Posts
probably a PATS issue, the security system in our cars designed so that you need the proper key to even start the engine. Either the chip in your key is bad or the PATS module is.

Also make sure you have your little keychain remote think next to the key. I believe it needs to be near it as part of the system. Could be wrong, thought ive read that before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it did come with an aftermarket alarm system but i disconnected that thinking that was the issue, but still didnt start. so is PATS the stock alarm system on the car? any idea on how I can fix that?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Oh man oh man the PATS system. My ex had the same issue, took it to Ford numerous times, they "fixed" it, still had issues. Sometimes it would start, sometimes it took 10 or 20 tries. Made her break-down crying numerous times. Pain in the ass, I tried fixing it myself too before Ford and had no luck. Big fail with that, seems that it deters owners more than it does thieves.

·
Registered
923 Posts
gotta be a way to disable the system. check into all your fuses. Even if you have to pull them 1 by 1 and attempt to start it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
probably a PATS issue, the security system in our cars designed so that you need the proper key to even start the engine. Either the chip in your key is bad or the PATS module is.

Also make sure you have your little keychain remote think next to the key. I believe it needs to be near it as part of the system. Could be wrong, thought ive read that before.
you do not need to have the remote with the key for it to turn on

...and it does sound like a PATS problem... like someone else said try disconnecting the battery and re-connect it because sometimes it resets whatever is wrong... i'm not sure it will work, but it cant hurt and its worth a try

·
Registered
356 Posts
well it did come with an aftermarket alarm system but i disconnected that thinking that was the issue, but still didnt start. so is PATS the stock alarm system on the car? any idea on how I can fix that?
PATS is not the alarm system... I am not positive, but I believe it has to do with the small chip that is inside the top of your key. If the chip is damaged, or for some reason the PATS is not reading it correctly, the car will not start because it thinks the car is being stolen with a fake key... if it is the key you will need to have Ford fix the problem for you because of the unique chip in the key

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PATS is not the alarm system... I am not positive, but I believe it has to do with the small chip that is inside the top of your key. If the chip is damaged, or for some reason the PATS is not reading it correctly, the car will not start because it thinks the car is being stolen with a fake key... if it is the key you will need to have Ford fix the problem for you because of the unique chip in the key
so far, ive attempted to leave the key in for 30+ seconds earlier today and the car started, but then in da evening it didnt wanna turn on again. i left da key in for a good 5 minutes and it turned on, but im almost sure its gonna happen again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts