·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is how I did it.

It ran for about 5 min

Chatters LOUD

What did I do wrong??

This is the second time doing it. First time doing it I rotated until both exhaust and intake were closed. I had chatter over 3500RPM on heavy throttle.

Now I adjusted intake right when it closed and the rotate engine until exhaust was closed then adjusted that.

what happened?

I need replies ASAP

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
you wanna adjust all the valves when the lifter is is on the base of the cam lobe. meaning after it closes turn it over a little more

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
trick i learned and have yet to have a problem with, pick a cylinder, rotate it til one of the valves starts to open, tighten down the one thats not open, then turn it til the open one closes, and the closed one opens, Then do the same. I have yet to have rockers come loose usin this method

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you wanna adjust all the valves when the lifter is is on the base of the cam lobe. meaning after it closes turn it over a little more
So I didn't crank it enough after it closed?

Did you measure ptv clearance?
no, Not sure whatr PTV stands for...is that piston to valve clearance?

trick i learned and have yet to have a problem with, pick a cylinder, rotate it til one of the valves starts to open, tighten down the one thats not open, then turn it til the open one closes, and the closed one opens, Then do the same. I have yet to have rockers come loose usin this method
Isn't that what I did???

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just adjusting them because, I had a little noise in it so I though maybe a slightly lose rocker. PTV is fine with the cam...ran no problem since I got it. I wasn't the one to install the cam

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PTV was fine. I'm just adjusting them cause there was a little rocker noise and thought they were a bit out of adjustment.

I've ran this setup for like...6-7 months now. No PTV issues all that time. Can I have that problem now?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
you were close, put the rockers on finger tighten the keepers, then rotate the motor til the intake is all the way open. Then finger snug the exhaust keeper, then give it a 90*turn, then lock the jam nut. Then turn it til the exhaust is all the way open and finger snug the keeper, turn it 90* and lock down the jam screw.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thats new. I never seen a torque wrench used. I was taught to tighten the center screw and rocker arm bolt at the same time. So you would have to use a wrench and allen wrench together. Probably why i never used a torque wrench. I would also make adjustments cylinder by cylinder. To easy to forget one in my opinion. I adjusted mine about 8 years ago when i did my heads and haven 't touched them since.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
wait are yours pedistall mount or stud mount

if they are ped just torque them down to 22ftlbs

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you were close, put the rockers on finger tighten the keepers, then rotate the motor til the intake is all the way open. Then finger snug the exhaust keeper, then give it a 90*turn, then lock the jam nut. Then turn it til the exhaust is all the way open and finger snug the keeper, turn it 90* and lock down the jam screw.
So I almost had it? Damn...ok so let me see if I understand..

1. Pick a cylinder (I will choose #1 for example)
2. Rotate motor until Intake is all the way open (if standing at the front of the engine, #1 cylinder is closest on passengerside and valves from front of the engine to the back go, exhaust then intake and so forth for each cylinder, correct?)

3. Loosen the exhaust valve thats closed, let sit for 30 sec then finger tighten it snug (jam nut still loose) give it 90* or 1/4 of a turn, then tighten the jam nut.

4. rotate engine until exhaust is all the way open and do the same as step #3 for the intake valve.

5. Do the rest of the cylinders ( I chose to do it in firing order 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 so when I finish one cylinder I need to back up the engine a bit to get where I need to be as was shown in the video.

So is THAT what I need to do and it FINALLY be fixed?? Man I'm tellin ya...I'm getting quick at taking it all apart. I can have the upper intake all disconnected and off the car in not even 5 min.

on a side note...how was the video? (let just say it was all correct)

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
no need to let it sit, just make sure all rockers are finger tight before you start turning the motor other wise they wont push on the valve. this is just for example

when the intake is open the exhaust will be even looser, finger tight that rocker, give it a 1/4 turn, make sure its snug then lock down the jam nut

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in your example:

when the intake is open the exhaust will be even looser, finger tight that rocker, give it a 1/4 turn, make sure its snug then lock down the jam nut

you're saying to finger tighten the exhaust rocker and then tighten the jam nut or set screw?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
jam nut holds the rocker down, set screw holds the jam nut

so once its finger tight, turn it 90 degrees then set the set screw inside the jam nut

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think you understood my question. I was asking, when exhaust is all the way open do I adjust intake? and the vise versa

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
just go pay someone, you couldnt pay attention with a 100 dollar bill in your hand

1 - 20 of 30 Posts